Add Fresh Chinook to Mosaic Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I'm brewing`(fermenting) a session pale ale with all Mosaic and realized I still have ready to harvest Chinook hops on the vine. Throw them fresh, wet, in with the dry hop?

Opinions, please!

Interesting. I would've said dry them then add them as dry hops.
fwiw, I certainly don't think commercial hops are pasteurized - or in any way sanitized - yet we don't think twice about using them as dry hops or keg hops...

Cheers!

Something about the processing of commercial hops kills the wild yeast and bacteria that are normally abundant on plant matter.

I've always accepted that hops are antimicrobial and are more likely to kill any nasties than harbor them.
That said, my suggestion about drying prior to use was to drive off legged creatures, having some experience in the matter ;)

Cheers!

I love Mosaic and Chinook, and have kept two beers on tap that use each. I grew Chinook for years and used it extensively, it's a great hop for IPAs if you want to exploit its bold character set - and "grassy cat piss" is definitely not typical...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back