Add during "late boil"???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
I've brewed about 6-7 batches thus far, so still new to the game. I'm going to be making a stout from a recipe I found and it says to add 2 row brewers malt and molasses during "late boil". How late in the boil should this be?? 10-15 MTFO??:confused:

I've brewed about 6-7 batches thus far, so still new to the game. I'm going to be making a stout from a recipe I found and it says to add 2 row brewers malt and molasses during "late boil". How late in the boil should this be?? 10-15 MTFO??:confused::mug: Thanks in advance!

Never heard of that...Can someone explain the benefit of this?

Some people add part of the extract late in the boil to keep the wort from darkening too much over 60 minutes. Others believe it makes no difference. Most who do will give it ten minutes of boil time right at the end to sanitize/sterilize everything.

Can someone plz help me out with this then?? Here's the recipe. I'm still too new to the game to know exactly what the 2-row is going to do/not do during late boil. I already have it, crushed and separated from the rest of grain bill. Should I use it or not, and when? Thanks guys!

16 oz caramel malt 90L - steep
8 oz black patent - steep
4 oz oat flakes - steep
4 oz 2 row chocolate malt - steep

4 lb dark LME - boil
3 lb amber DME - boi
l
16 OZ 2 ROW BREWERS MALT - LATE BOIL
4 oz molasses - late boil

Can someone plz help me out with this then?? Here's the recipe. I'm still too new to the game to know exactly what the 2-row is going to do/not do during late boil. I already have it, crushed and separated from the rest of grain bill. Should I use it or not, and when? Thanks guys!

16 oz caramel malt 90L - steep
8 oz black patent - steep
4 oz oat flakes - steep
4 oz 2 row chocolate malt - steep

4 lb dark LME - boil
3 lb amber DME - boi
l
16 OZ 2 ROW BREWERS MALT - LATE BOIL
4 oz molasses - late boil

Don't use it! At least, not in the boil.

You can steep it with the other grains, and that would be fine. But never add grains to a boil. Ever.

I think the recipe is not very good, but it's because I think fermented molasses tastes awful and I don't like the amber and dark LME in the recipe. But if you think it sounds good, as a very thick rich sweet beer in the end, then of course it's your taste that counts!

I'm not opposed to leaving out the molasses. The end result is a spiced stout, but no, I don't want it overly sweet. Would you omit the molasses completely then?? Is the recipe decent for a stout w/out the molasses? ty!

I've never used molassas in a brew bfore,but 4oz dosen't sound like much. And mash those grains together in 1 gallon of water @ 153-155F for an hour. Sparge with half gallon or even 1 gallon of water for the boil. You can wrap the kettle tightly in a quilted winter coat or similar for the mash temp to stay steady. Real easy to do.

That recipe is weird. I assumed you were talking about a 2 row based extract.

Four ounces of molasses will likely be fine. I've used a full bottle of the Brer Rabbit molasses, 12 ounces I think, in a recipe and, at that amount, it is quite subtle. I also once brewed the George Washington Porter for an event and used molasses for half of the fermentable sugar...that was not so good to me, but many tried it and raved about the molasses flavor.

Latest posts

Back