Add campden to priming sugar water before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hout17

Crush it REAL Good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would this be something to consider if pulling the water from my tap to make up a priming solution for bottling? I use Campden tablets in my brewing water to get rid of the chlorine/chloramine.

It's probably not going to make a difference--but why take the chance? You could boil the tap water for 20 minutes if it's treated with chlorine; chloramine would take a lot longer.

But why not just use bottled water or distilled water from the store? That way, no issues.

Don't know about where Hout is, but around here the grocery stores are limiting how much water you can buy at a time. Normally I use Deer Park, but I'm going with tap water tomorrow. Hoping to get two brews going. Picked up some campden tabs yesterday at the LHBS. We'll see how the beers turn out.

This last brew I did I used a quarter a campden tablet for my brewing water (5 gallon ipa). Beer tastes great I just didn't know if using straight tap water without the tablet would cause twang in my bottles if I used the tap water for priming sugar solution. I bottled and used fizz drops this time so it wasn't an issue.

Anybody have any idea about how long to boil the tap water if chloramines were present to remove them like an hour?

Also to your point mongoose it wouldn't be big deal to get a small amount of spring or distilled to make up the solution also.

Anybody have any idea about how long to boil the tap water if chloramines were present to remove them like an hour?

I'm pretty sure an hour wouldn't do it. I don't even know if a day would do it. Chloramines are much less volatile than chlorine. It's why many/most water suppliers switched.

I'm pretty sure an hour wouldn't do it. I don't even know if a day would do it. Chloramines are much less volatile than chlorine. It's why many/most water suppliers switched.

I've read that 24 hours of boiling isn't long enough.

To OP: For priming sugar you don't need all that much water. Just use some from a small water bottle. Problem solved.

Back