Accidentally put whole tablet whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You used a whole tab in a 5 gallon batch? Ya it will be fine. A little overkill, but nothing damaging.

me too when I can get it. LHBS has been out of stock for a while so using irish moss when I need it. No such thing as too much.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, the directions said 1 tab for 10-15 gallons. Much appreciated, making a chocolate hazelnut porter for my first brew in 8 years, all grain biab

Pour it out ... if it turns out terrible. If it does it won’t have anything to do with the tablet, though.

Anyone of you wild whole tablet brewers notice and improvement or just easier than trying to cut them?

For me, it's just easier to not cut them.

For others, half or whole tablet tossers, do any of you notice a difference if you chuck them in at 15, 10, 5, or flame out? I toss mine in at the 15 min mark.

Oddly, my container says 1/2 tablet for 5 gallons, I open the bag and cut a tablet in half with a sharp knife. That way anything that breaks off stays in the bag. When I use the last 1/2 I usually have enough crumbs left for one more brew. Seems that whatever we do it works and doesn't impact the beer.

Half tablet per 5 gallon batch. I used to add mine at 15, but switched to 5 after reading on here somewhere that it was more effective as a 5 minute addition.

I haven't noticed that much of a difference either way.

Back