Accidentally bought 2 kits, storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how I managed it, but it appears that I ordered two kits when I only meant to order one. Not a huge deal because they are both beers that I'd like to brew eventually. My question is how should I store the one that I'm not brewing this weekend?

They are both all grain kits with 2 11g sachets of dry yeast.

I'm assuming it's your typical "cool, dry place" kind of thing? If so I'm just going to toss them into my unplugged lagering freezer.

Works for me. Freeze the hops though and brew asap if the grain is milled.

I suppose you could go that far if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Most dry goods are meant to keep well at reasonable temperatures. I would probably just keep it in a closed box someplace where the ingredients won't get separated. For me, the ingredients are more at risk if they are not kept together because I am bound to misplace something and continue the brew-day without, then find it an hour later.

The only exception to a lack of preservation concern for me would be storing liquid yeast in a refrigerator or the long-term storage of hops in a freezer. Since you have dry yeast and plan on brewing with the hops in the near future, neither should be a concern.

What kits did you end up buying?

:mug: just put it all in the freezer for now and brew when you can, preferably soon :)

I would put the grains and hops in the freezer (may want to double bag the grains) if your not going to brew fairly quickly. Also put the yeast in the fridge. If you just put the grains in a cool dry place, be advised that bugs also like those conditions! Don't forget to allow the grains to come to room temp before you start to mash in or it will suck down your mash water temp a lot.

Freeze the hops... the grains should last a couple months as long as its not too hot where its stored. I would worry more about bugs/critters getting to it.

Just brew it as soon as you have a free fermenter.

Back