Acceptable Amount of Alcohol Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Recently did a DIPA which is young, only about 2 weeks old that came out to 8.5%. For my NEIPA style beers I usually keg pretty early about 10 days (gravity reading stable for 3 days in a row) then dry hop in the keg for a 1 1/2 weeks before serving and they usually are gone within 1-2 weeks.

I've consumed plenty of 8% and up beers of this style and some I have felt had that "vodka burn" but this is the first I have brewed that I has a mild burn on the finish. The F.G. was 1.018 so theres some sweetness, mouthfeel is nice and fluffy, hops need a little more time to work their magic but I just can't tell if the slight burn is right for something of this abv.

Fermentation was actually little cooler than usual (65-67) up until the very end (stuck around 1.023) I brought it up to around 72-73 for the last few points and diacetyl rest.

I am thinking this is something that will fade over the next week or two as the hops in the keg do their thing but figured I see if others feel like there should be a litttle heat on an 8.5% beer.

I personally like a DIPA to have the elements of NEEPAH flavor-wise with a little booziness on the back to clean the juicy flavor off the palate. I would not say "burn" is preferred but I like to be able to sense that it is above 8%. I prefer a NEEPAH that is a bit stronger over something around 5-6%.

Thats where I'm torn its got a slight "hey this is 8+%" taste to it which I didn't mind but the wife said not me for me to boozy. So I am trying to determine if its the abv or a fusel taste.

It's hard to say as it is pretty subjective but I would describe the difference as the difference between a "warming" sensation in the mouth versus a "hot" or "burning" taste that creeps into the hop flavors.

Back