ABV Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourlastchance89

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a dopppelbock. With my current grain bill, the estimated og and fg, the final ABV will be an estimated 11.3%. I'm struggling to find any lager yeast that is listed as tolerating an ABV this high. I plan on doing a big starter, doing cell counts under a microscope, hitting the final cooled wort with a good dose of oxygen, and pushing fermentation temps higher during the end of fermentation. I was going to use Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. I've never attempted to push a strain past its ABV point before and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this, if it's feasible, or any alternative yeast strain suggestions?

Not a lager yeast,but may help. I fermented a RIS that had an OG of 1.126 with the Voss strain of Kveik,that finished at 1.034 in 7 days then into a secondary on whisky sticks. I pitched the same onto a Wee Heavy , OG 1.108 yesterday. I think at the right temp with the right pitch rate will give a low ester profile,so I'm checking it out. A buddy of mine did a Norwegian Mexican Lager that is almost ready yo sample. These yeasts are alcohol tolerant to 16% they say in some texts. Oh, I mashed that RIS at 156* and still got a 12% beer. If you're intent on a lager yeast I would use your favorite in a small beer and then pitch the entire yeast cake. Instead of tossing out a 5+ qt starter you got a beer to drink. I think it would be a mistake with a high OG lager to ferment it above 50* for the first several days,so large pitch and plenty of O2.

Back