AB is back at it again: Today, they purchased Cleveland, Ohio’s Platform Beer Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In light of recent divestments to bring down AB InBev's 100 Billion dollar debt it is surprising to see them announcing any acquisitions right now...

Cheers!

Thoughts?

Platform is the fastest growing brewery in the country. They have over 600 products (seriously!) and each and every one is every bit as good as you'd expect from a brewery churning out 600 beers, ciders and sour alcopops, except not that good. The word is that this will allow them to expand to produce even more variety, especially more kettle sours, which clearly is the next big thing of many years ago.

I... I... I don't have any thoughts. No, I do.

Maybe Dr. Evil has finally gone off the deep end. But more likely there's a very logical strategy that has nothing to do with anything we see at first glance in this transaction.

ABInBev has no real interest in any of the concerns they take over, or discard. It's all about tweaking markets to have butterfly effects on the brand equity of their legacy brands.

I didn't really care for Platform before. Now I certainly don't.

If they start producing good sours at their new facility, I'll be interested. That would be surprising considering their track record.

Last edited:
Two guys start a business 5 years ago. They expanded, opened up taprooms in other locations and now have been acquired by AB. I wish I had done that the last 5 years instead of what I've been doing.
Good for them.
I never heard of them before this, but I might try their beer if I see it.

Heard from a friend , so I can’t confirm, that Platform also owner the Home brew shop across the street from them.wonder if it will be affected.

Heard from a friend , so I can’t confirm, that Platform also owner the Home brew shop across the street from them.wonder if it will be affected.

"Hi all. As many of you have probably heard, Platform has been acquired by AB InBev. There have already been questions floating around about the future of the shop, so we want to address those now. The shop is owned by a separate entity and was not involved in the purchase. The shop is and will remain open and independent. That being said, we see a new chapter starting for the brew shop and are excited to share those details with you soon. Thank you for your continued support of your local home brew shop!"

From their Facebook page. But yes the owner is the same.

I wonder why the shop is not involved in the purchase. There are several shops near me that are also tap rooms...presumably serving the beer they make during lessons...

I remember learning that back prior to prohibition days the large brewers were prohibited from owning the pubs. This was because when they used to own many pubs they would distribute free alcohol during political rallies for candidates who supported loose liquor laws.

I wonder how that law had changed since then or is it still around/enforced?

The reason as i understand is that manufacturers would buy the bars, and shut down competition. Entire counties where your choices were the bar owned by jim beam or jack daniels. Etc

I wonder why the shop is not involved in the purchase. There are several shops near me that are also tap rooms...presumably serving the beer they make during lessons...

I remember learning that back prior to prohibition days the large brewers were prohibited from owning the pubs. This was because when they used to own many pubs they would distribute free alcohol during political rallies for candidates who supported loose liquor laws.

I wonder how that law had changed since then or is it still around/enforced?
Before prohibition, the breweries owned the vast majority of taverns, much like the familiar tied-house system that long prevailed in the UK. They were, however, prohibited from owning bottling works. They had to wholesale beer to independent bottlers, though they could independently distribute draught beer. When this was amended, brewers were allowed to own bottling plants, but not on the same premises as the brewery, which was sufficiently burdensome to remove the profit motive. It seems likely that all this was the result of lobbying by bottlers. After prohibition, brewers were otherwise restricted in their ability to distribute their own product, as the three tier system took hold. Brewers could now freely bottle their own products, but could no longer retail draught, and the bottlers were out; brewing/ packaging, distribution, and retail were broken apart. This forced many (surviving, pre-prohibition) brewers to choose between running their breweries or maintaining their estates of retail outlets (taverns) which had lower overhead and faster turnover, if lower margin; many chose this path, eventually becoming real estate magnates, though their early property holdings had long ceased to house liquor establishments. This accelerated the closure and consolidation of brewers through the 1950s. A similar phenomenon has played out in the UK since the legislative innovations of the late 1980s.

ugh, drugs, and over complication....can't i just enjoy myself in peace....regulation/taxes, bull ****.....

Back