A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I combined my two carboys now that the vigorous fermentation was done. After just shy of a week it went from 1.116 to 1.030 and as others have said, the roasted notes and hops (plus the 11.5% I'm sure) hide all that leftover sugar. Now to bulk age a couple of months and then do secondary. This beer will try my patience :)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414867164.619307.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414867179.914804.jpg

So I combined my two carboys now that the vigorous fermentation was done. After just shy of a week it went from 1.116 to 1.030 and as others have said, the roasted notes and hops (plus the 11.5% I'm sure) hide all that leftover sugar. Now to bulk age a couple of months and then do secondary. This beer will try my patience :)
View attachment 233118
View attachment 233119

I'm anxious to try yours next to mine. I gotta try and get my FG lower next time. Mine is a bit too sweet at 1.042

Oxygenated with pure O2. Mashed high, about 155° and used about a pound of dme. Prob a combo of the mash temp and dme. Pitched plenty of yeast according to yeastcalc as well.

Doesn't real hunahpu and zukov finish above 1.040? I thought I read they do.

According to post #26, Wayne Wambles said the OG for the beer is 31-32 Plato, to hit 11% abv it would have to get down to around 12.5 plato, which would be ~1.050, if I'm doing the conversions correctly.

According to post #26, Wayne Wambles said the OG for the beer is 31-32 Plato, to hit 11% abv it would have to get down to around 12.5 plato, which would be ~1.050, if I'm doing the conversions correctly.

Thanks Allen... thought I read that. Maybe I'll take a reading next time I open one.

Haven't brewed this yet but my goal is to finish above 1.040. Seems like most of the highest rated stouts finish between 1.040 and 1.050.

Hey guys, Id like to experiment with a little stronger caramel profile. I really like how this recipe sounds, but I dont like too much of that strong coffee roasted flavors in a stout. On my recipe, Carafa III Special will bring a darker color to head without adding much roasty bitterness.

Thats also why I will mash a little lower (148-150F), in order to finish around 1035-1040 (since there wont be a too strong dark malts profile, too much sweetness would make it out of balance, in my opinion).

Oh, I live in Brazil, so there aint a lot of yeast varieties available. Will two packs of S04 work? It is a low attenuation strain. I do not intend to go over 1100-1110.

Do you guys think this recipe meet my expectations (meaning: big strong RIS, with intense caramel/chocolate/darkfruits notes and subtle yet obvious coffee flavor and aroma)?

BASE Malts (62%)
37% 2-row
20% Munich (malty, honey, biscuity flavors)
5% Flaked Oats

Adjuncts (5%)
5% Brown Sugar*

CARAMEL Malts (15%)
5% Aromatic (malty flavors)
5% Special B (intense malty/caramelish/nutty notes)
5% Crystal Dark (caramel, raisin, toffee/chocolate)

ROASTED Malts (18%)
10% Chocolate (ashy, chocolatey notes)
5% Carafa III (chocolate aroma, no bitterness)
3% Black Malt (coffee)

*Can I add the sugar after 5 days of fermentation, to give the yeast a little help? Does it have to be boiled first?

Well its stout season up here on the East Coast so why not? I think I'll go off skibb's recipe... Anyone add any rice hulls to keep the wort flowing?

Brew Method: All Grain
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.091
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.124
Final Gravity: 1.038
ABV (standard): 11.24%
IBU (tinseth): 112.39
SRM (ebcmorey): 78.8

FERMENTABLES:
212 oz - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (46.9%)
88 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (19.5%)
46 oz - Flaked Barley (10.2%)
32 oz - American - Chocolate (7.1%)
32 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (7.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 160L (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.1%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 112.39

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 155 F, Time: 90 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Ceylon Cinnamon, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 each - Madagascar Vanilla Bean, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
6 oz - Peruvian Cacao Nibs, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 oz - Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968

Just brewed this up. Had to do a double brew. The OG came in at 1.126. 0.002 higher then I expected. It took forever to boil this down. Also had to borrow a friends MT to do this. Both mashes came in way different so I blended them and boiled for 2hrs and blended again because I only have 9 Gal pots. In the end it all came out great! It's thick just like I wanted in a stout this big. I split it in 2 so I can try the base and the spiced up version. Can't wait to try it!

Great pics, let us know how it comes out. I am still working on perfecting my imperial stout recipe, it is a pain in the @$$ to do big brews like these, especially on solo brew days. Totally worth the results, I think the next brew or two I will have it. Small incremental steps. Find what you like and dont, for example I completely axed using black patent in favor of all roasted barley and chocolate malt. Over time it was giving an ashtray flavor as the rest of the brew mellowed. I hated it, others liked it. I am not at all a smokey beer fan.

BTW I would skip the brown sugar if you haven't added it yet. I have found it doesn't add anything to the beer and decreases perceived mouth feel and viscosity.

Thanks! No brown sugar. Im trying to decide what I want to do for bottling though... Either force carb or prime the bottles... Anyone out there have a preference?

With a beer this big, I would lend more towards force carbonation. If you are going to naturally carbonate with bottles, you should definitely re-yeast your beer to better ensure they carbonate fully.

http://imgur.com/w08BLAk

First sample from a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

It's been 437 days since I drank the first bottle from this batch. I have 9 left. I cracked one open tonight, and it is great. This beer did really well with some age. That's all I got. I haven't brewed anything since this batch. I have a baby that's just over 437 days old though. I'll get back into it once she starts kindergarten, I'm sure.

Hey, I'm curious what Mashtuns you guys are using for this. I've got the 10g Igloo and just calculating the water/grains I can't do this.

I used 2 of the same and did a no sparge, set at 2, 3 gallon batches... Not the easiest way to do it.....Expect a very low effeciency ~ 50-55% but you could do it partigyle from it....

Just brewed this up. Had to do a double brew. The OG came in at 1.126. 0.002 higher then I expected. It took forever to boil this down. Also had to borrow a friends MT to do this. Both mashes came in way different so I blended them and boiled for 2hrs and blended again because I only have 9 Gal pots. In the end it all came out great! It's thick just like I wanted in a stout this big. I split it in 2 so I can try the base and the spiced up version. Can't wait to try it!

So this has stopped at 1.050 down from 1.126. Which brings me in at almost 10% was hoping to get it down a little lower but at this point i need to get it carbed up for christmas. What yall think?

You may want to not rush it. It was many months before I cracked one. After 18 months it's still drinking awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1) I use a 12.5 gallon rectangular cooler for mashing, and it was pushing the limit for sure.

2) Stopping at 1.050 is in the realm of reason for this beast, Mine was 1.045 or so and is damn good. Syrupy as hell, and appropriate.
If you push it for x-mas though, save some to age, you'll be glad you did.

You may want to not rush it. It was many months before I cracked one. After 18 months it's still drinking awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm going to pop it in the keg and carb it up. I'll keep some in there but plan to bottle a good amount to store it away for later consumption :D

I just want 1 bottle to bring down to my brother in-law for Christmas.

1) I use a 12.5 gallon rectangular cooler for mashing, and it was pushing the limit for sure.

2) Stopping at 1.050 is in the realm of reason for this beast, Mine was 1.045 or so and is damn good. Syrupy as hell, and appropriate.
If you push it for x-mas though, save some to age, you'll be glad you did.

Yeah I was thinking since it's 9.97% and it sat for awhile around 62 then I brought it upstairs where it sat for 2 more weeks @ 67+ that its pretty much done... Those yeasties took a beating... also might have under pitched... I did pitch 2L of starter into each 2.5G fermenter though...

Read through almost every page of this thread, but just wanted to ask this quick question. Are all you guys using ground cinnamon for this or are some people using sticks? I am not planning on brewing this yet (just starting to brew), but I am thinking of using cinnamon in some other recipes soon and was just wondering. I do plan on brewing this as soon as I think I am ready though.

I tend to use cinnamon sticks, or at least grind them myself.

Anybody have tasting notes they'd like to share? My carbonation ended up not so great. Its pretty sweet, like dark fruit sweet, much like what the dried Chile's smell like. I really don't get any heat in mine either, not sure if it was the peppers or if I didn't use enough or leave them in the secondary long enough.

If I make this again I think I would use less of the Chile's and maybe throw some habenero in for some heat.

The base beer is solid, I didn't do the additions. It's not a direct clone of Marshal Zhukov, but it is just as good. I will be doing the base beer again later this month and plan treat it in a barrel.

The base beer is solid, I didn't do the additions. It's not a direct clone of Marshal Zhukov, but it is just as good. I will be doing the base beer again later this month and plan treat it in a barrel.

That sounds awesome... I need to get a barrel... The base is very tasty though cant wait until its carbed up!

SWMBO is getting me a 10g barrel from tuthill for xmas! can't wait to get something aging in there

Tuthilltown? I'm thinking the same thing... They are about an hour maybe hour and a half away from me and everyone loves using their barrels. Plan Bee Farm and Brewery use them a lot.

I brewed this up about 3 weeks ago:

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.8 %
2.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 9 85.2 IBUs
1.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [4.5L starter]

Measured Original Gravity: 1.123 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.035 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.8 %
Bitterness: 85.2 IBUs
Est Color: 81.9 SRM
60 Sec of pure O2
Mashed at 155

The last i checked it was down to about 1.040.

how did this come out skeezer?

how did this come out skeezer?

I am doing my additions now. Just took out oak today and put in 4oz Cocoa nibs that have been soaking in vodka. Next up is the vanilla (beans are soaking in vodka), then the peppers/cinnamon (also soaking in vodka) I am hoping have it carbed and ready to bottle from the keg at the 1yr mark, 1/3/15.

I tend to use cinnamon sticks, or at least grind them myself.

Anybody have tasting notes they'd like to share? My carbonation ended up not so great. Its pretty sweet, like dark fruit sweet, much like what the dried Chile's smell like. I really don't get any heat in mine either, not sure if it was the peppers or if I didn't use enough or leave them in the secondary long enough.

If I make this again I think I would use less of the Chile's and maybe throw some habenero in for some heat.

Quoting myself, sorry about that, but I opened another bottle that has been sitting at about 60 degrees for a few weeks, and the flavors are definitely coming together better. There's also a little heat starting to come through and carbonation is much better. Looks like this just needs the extra time so don't rush it, mine is about 3 months at this point and I think another month or two certainly wouldn't hurt.

Back