A milk stout (not left hand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I love a good milk stout and LH make an excellent one, so good its hard to beat, highly drinkable.

However I find myself wanting more, I think this is because when I want a milk stout I actually want a dessert stout and also because I want to brew something that's my own but as good and LH milk stout but in a completely different why.

So I want a dessert like stout, intense chocolate and confectionery. I'm thinking nuts, caramel, dried fruit, honey and again intense chocolate with a big creamy mouth feel.

This is what I have so far

10lb of maris otter
1lb of chocolate rye
0.5lb roast barley
1lb NGO
0.5lb Victory malt
0.5lb Honey malt
0.5lb special B
1lb flaked barley
1lb Lactose
6oz of cocoa powder

Bittering with warrior to 30 IBU's
no flavour/aroma addtions

Mash at 156
Ferment with WLP023
1 tbsp of vanillia extract
chocolate extract to taste.
SG 1.061 FG 1.023

Then Nitro keg.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, ramblings all welcome.

How'd the recipe workout? I've brewed LH milk stout clone in the past and changed it over time. I'm curious how you liked the special b also?

I have brewed yet, got a Lager and IPA to do first.

Actually think I'm going to drop the chocolate malt and victory and instead use brown malt and boricha. I will probably use crystal 80 instead of honey and NGO.

I will sub the flaked barley for Oats.

So something like

10lb maris otter
1lb boricha
1lb brown malt
1lb crystal 80
0.5 special B
1lb oats
1lb lactose.

I have used special B in a belgin stout and it was very chocolaty but some of that is probably the yeast too.

Back