A little pissed off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
So this morning I come home from being out of town for work and my roommate decided to turn off our heat while he also left town.

Well.... the temperature was 60 when I walked in after a cold front came through and temps dropped to the upper 40’s. However, yesterday temps were in the upper 60’s and the day before it was in the mid 70’s. The two beers I have fermenting are both ales set to ferment at 67-68. The Krausen has significantly reduced and basically no bubbles in the airlock. What is the course of action to see if the yeast has gone dormant? I’m just curious if this will affect my bottling/carbonation due to possible flocculation of the yeast?

Ps. If you need specifics on the OG, yeast, etc. to give me a more specific answer I will post the BeerSmith profile

Last edited:
How many days are we talking about? And if the temps are set, I’m assuming they’re controlled, I don’t understand you being pissed. I’ll bet it’s done fermenting. And if the first couple days it stayed where it’s set, and then it maybe went up in temp after initial fermentation, you have nothing to worry about.

How many days are we talking about? And if the temps are set, I’m assuming they’re controlled, I don’t understand you being pissed. I’ll bet it’s done fermenting. And if the first couple days it stayed where it’s set, and then it maybe went up in temp after initial fermentation, you have nothing to worry about.

It was at 70-71 for the first 2.5 days then I left town and the heat was shut off so I don’t know what the temps were honestly. I don’t have a way to control the temperature other than room temp through my thermostat.

I haven’t tested the gravity yet to see if it’s done fermenting or not but the OG was 1.068 for a black IPA

I've had beers finish in that amount of time but I second Pappers and LLBeanJ... If you bring the temps back up and give the fermenter a nice swirl you'll see more activity if the yeast needs to pick back up. They won't have died or anything. And no it won't effect your carbonating unless you've already bottled and the temp dips, then it just takes a little longer.

Check your FG. It’s probably done. I cold crash my beer all the time and still have yeast left over so I don’t think the yeast would go dormant. Especially not at 60 degrees.

If ambient or even the beer was 70-71 your fermentation is likely done.

Having ambient temps drop to 60 on a beer that is actively fermenting is likely not enough to have much affect as it sounds like you were well on your way when the heat was lowered.

My guess is your fine...rdwhahb

I never saw what strain of ale yeast you used. If it was S-04 or Nottingham you may want to
do a happy dance and cheer. At worst let the house heat up and fermentation will continue.
Ale yeast is very sturdy. Too much heat is a much bigger problem.

Back