A Good Summer Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

web250

Reaction score
So I'm home from school for good (graduated Delaware with my BA in chemistry) and I want to brew my 6th beer with my dad.

Going to do a partial mash, and will be buying everything off AHS as I can't get my stuff from the amazing LHBS I had at school :(

Definitely want something refreshing and summery. Oh, and I can't lager, so it has to be an ale.

thanks guys

I would say a Kolsch or a Hefewiezen, but thats just my opinion. both of them would make a great refreshing summer time brew.

+1 on Hefeweizen. They are easy and delicious. Speaking of which, I brewed one two days ago, happily fermenting away. It was a partial mash if you want to use the recipe.

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 70%
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.83 %
Mash Temp: 153

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.00 %
3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.75 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 31.25 %
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

I would say a Kolsch or a Hefewiezen, but thats just my opinion. both of them would make a great refreshing summer time brew.

If he can't lager, making a Kolsch could be problematic.

Blonde Ale, Cream Ale, American Wheat or a Hefe would all be good and summery.

I make a very nice "Pils" ale. Just mostly pils malt, a little 2-row pale, US-05 and a nice smooth hop, like Saaz.

Depending on the tastes of the people involved, there's always Belgian Blonde or Witbier.

Second the Blonde/Cream ale - though Cream Ale is also problematic without lagering capabilities.

Bob

Congrats! In the same boat. Graduated Illinois with a BS in Aviation (read, a certificate to be unemployed). Whats better than waiting for the economy to recover than brew beer!

I brewed extract at school using extract + specialty grains but am now looking to do partial and all grains. Am quite excited and a summer brew is the one that I am looking to do. I think once one of my fermenters is open, I will brew this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/summer-citrus-wheat-67952/ with the added honey malt that was referenced later on in the post.

I just posed a recipe for "Orange Blossom Special" that i'm super-happy with. I'm gonna have to make another batch of it really soon... It's in the Wheat/Rye Recipe section...

+1 on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Plus, you can order it from Brewmaster's Warehouse ready to go!

I say an RIS! then it will be ready by winter :)

also, you should check out the MD brew day threads. we have at least one guy who comes from delaware

Depending on the tastes of the people involved, there's always Belgian Blonde or Witbier.

+1 to this. Lady Summer always demands Witbier in the BBBC household. :D

The perfect warm weather beer is crisp, easy drinking and refreshing.

I plan to have something that is lighter on tap all summer whether it is a Wheat (currently have a wit and thinking of brewing a American Wheat soon) I have my first lager on top still which is very refreshing.

A nice pale ale is always good too and I plan on brewing another batch of the orange cascade from blacklab.

For summer I love Lemon Ale's

Here's one I have fermenting right now.

10 lbs - 2row
1 lb - Crystal 10L
2 lemons zested (last 15min of boil)

.75 oz Fuggle 60 min
.75 oz Fuggle 15 min

Thanks for all the replies.

Won't go cream ale, as that's what I brewed last (and loved, got great reviews on it).

Think I might go some sort of wheat. Just gotta narrow down what exact flavor profile to go for.

I know I might be in the minority here, but I am a big fan of Dunkelweizens if I were going to do a wheat beer. I actually have an excess of some right now but I messed up when adding the bottling sugar and added way to much so it is as fizzy as a soda pop but still enjoyable when out of a glass. Congrats on graduating I have a semester left til I get my BS in Mech. Engineering and it is a blessing in disguise right now.

Back