A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

Good morning, im thinking this hand cupping thing is bs, to truly get a feel you need to bath in your coffee and rub it all over your body while performing expressionist dance. In Brewing terms one must dunk their head in their fermentor to truly feel the trub and hops and barley.

Classes have let out and I have some freedom for a bit.

Heading out after lunch to see about getting a gas line made for my brew cart, hope to get everything going and brew my Apricot Blonde this summer.

Good morning, im thinking this hand cupping thing is bs, to truly get a feel you need to bath in your coffee and rub it all over your body while performing expressionist dance. In Brewing terms one must dunk their head in their fermentor to truly feel the trub and hops and barley.

giphy.gif

Do most people even know what cupping IS and why it is done? I may have to go back and subject myself to a few minutes of that video, but I didn't see the grounds crust on the top of those coffees being cupped. Fail. If the coffee was the proper temperature, they would be burning their hands doing that silly crap. Fail. Finally, cupping is something normally done by the coffee grower's quality control people and by buyers, to make sure that they are getting what they are paying for. Not done by consumers, unless part of an educational class. Fail. If that video is serious? FAIL. If the video is a very dry, sarcastic commentary on how ridiculous some people can be? Masterful and hilarious. I think I'll go make my first cup of coffee in my new, replacement Keurig machine.

This is kind of a stupid question I guess but do you guys that live in Texas go to the high school football games because they're that good. Man I've heard those kids can play

This is kind of a stupid question I guess but do you guys that live in Texas go to the high school football games because they're that good. Man I've heard those kids can play

Dude, they're a bit quicker, stronger, faster then we ever played. My son, his freshman year, was on the 3rd freshman football team. Yes football rules here. I'm getting my kicks listening to all the Longhorn whining over the last 6 years tho.

Go Big Red!

View attachment 1463100659479.jpg

Do most people even know what cupping IS and why it is done? I may have to go back and subject myself to a few minutes of that video, but I didn't see the grounds crust on the top of those coffees being cupped. Fail. If the coffee was the proper temperature, they would be burning their hands doing that silly crap. Fail. Finally, cupping is something normally done by the coffee grower's quality control people and by buyers, to make sure that they are getting what they are paying for. Not done by consumers, unless part of an educational class. Fail. If that video is serious? FAIL. If the video is a very dry, sarcastic commentary on how ridiculous some people can be? Masterful and hilarious. I think I'll go make my first cup of coffee in my new, replacement Keurig machine.

You guessed it. That's Tom from Sweet Marias, and he IS their buyer/grader of all coffee origins. It is as good of a satire as you'll see by amateurs. I'm super impressed they could hold straight faces for the entire thing (did you watch the "blind" tasting at the end?) I buy my green coffee from them. His cupping goes to 11!

Keurig machine, FAIL!:D

Hi.

More Untagable goodness. I'd like to guess Centennial, Simcoe, Citra. The aroma/flavor of my dipa and yours are like brothers from another mother..

You have a great nose D. Impressive.

Centennial bittering charge. Late additions and dry hopped with Cascade and Citra. 15oz of hops total for the 5 gallon batch.

Late additions
attachment.php

Also thanks for showing off my fancy cap-labeling skills. :p

You have a great nose D. Impressive.

Centennial bittering charge. Late additions and dry hopped with Cascade and Citra. 15oz of hops total for the 5 gallon batch.

Late additions
attachment.php

Also thanks for showing off my fancy cap-labeling skills. :p

Ok, I have bittering centennial, 1/2 Simcoe and 1/2 citra/mosaic for 10min, whirlpool and dry hop. Yeah about 10oz. More would be better. I only used 4oz C60 so much lighter. I like your mouthfeel....humm, that didn't come out right...

As far a labeling, Mcbaumannerb definitely could learn from you! 😀

You guessed it. That's Tom from Sweet Marias, and he IS their buyer/grader of all coffee origins. It is as good of a satire as you'll see by amateurs. I'm super impressed they could hold straight faces for the entire thing (did you watch the "blind" tasting at the end?) I buy my green coffee from them. His cupping goes to 11!

You roast your own coffee, im envious. Man i love light roast coffee.

Ok guys, update on my process.

I ended up conversing with Marshall on AIM. Turns out he's a traditionalist still, even when it comes to messenger apps. Apparently he's still using temperature controlled environments for fermentation, and pitching more than enough healthy yeast. He also cools to ferment temps, doesn't pitch warm. He also aerates the crap out of his beers. Turns out, he doesn't splash the **** out of his beers post-fermentation. The transferring of the trub is from BK to ferementer, not fermenter to keg. He apparently pays close attention to the attenuation, by way of hydrometer usage - who would've known that he's actually into making sure the fermentation has finished up before a cold crash with gelatin? He uses carboys, for the most part, so it's a closed fermentation. Although it seems like he wants to rush the process as much as possible in order to get the alcohol into the bloodstream as fast as possible, I guess that's not actually accurate. He takes the necessary time needed to make sure it's great beer he's drinking.

So while I thought Marshall had helped me revolutionize my processes by not having to worry about a single damn aspect of it, thinking I could just throw **** together and it would make beer. Turns out, I misunderstood. He still cares about process and method and still practices a lot of the HB doctrine we've come to hate.

Oh and it turns out that he is they, and although they each have slightly different methods, they still care deeply about proper processes in order to make great beer, not just a beer-tasting alcoholic beverage.

So I guess I'll go back to brewing the hard way.

Yes, if you read his work he is always shocked at the results himself and he usually ends by saying he wont change. I am constantly changing what goes in my kettle that is. Alluding that one way or another creates a better beer is interesting because well for example 39 people at The Homebrew conference couldn't tell the difference in a lager fermented warm vs cool and many of those guys are Monster Brewers. Honestly I would probably ferment in my Kettle if carrying it made any sense at all.

Brewcart is now ready to go. found the extension I need for my gas hose.

I may spend this weekend installing my QD fittings in my BK, HLT and MT. Hopefully brewing next weekend.

About to head over to a staff appreciation day outing, too bad there will not be any beer.

Brewcart is now ready to go. found the extension I need for my gas hose.

I may spend this weekend installing my QD fittings in my BK, HLT and MT. Hopefully brewing next weekend.

About to head over to a staff appreciation day outing, too bad there will not be any beer.

Interesting. I'm about to do the same. Pictures? What size fittings and hoses if you don't mind.

Interesting. I'm about to do the same. Pictures? What size fittings and hoses if you don't mind.

I bought this cart for around $110.00 and modified it to be a 3 tier since I modified it the gas hose to the top burner would not reach so I added a 2ft extension. I am going to replace the jet burner with the BG14 that I had from a previous project.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am using 1/2" QD from Bargin fittings with 5/8 hose.
My HLT and BK are from Spike brewing. They posted several untouched 10gal kettles on their ebay and I snagged 2. One for 65.00 and the other for ~*80.00. I am using a coleman xtreme as my MT.

I am not one to run out and buy everything I need at once. I wait until I come across good deals. I did buy the fittings and hose in one purchase.

I can post pics of the cart this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back