A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is cheap land in southern CO (near Pueblo and Alamosa). The thing that kills you is water rights. Please don't make me explain water right, because I don't think I can.

Pueblo sounds about right. I think about 30 miles south?? I'd be doing rain water collection along with solar/wind power....propane of course also! It was in the middle of nowhere, sounded perfect.

Afternoon everyone! Or evening for the other siders. Or morning for the other other siders.

Late morning Q! Plans? Brewing?

We have a visitor coming into the dryer vent...fixing that. Getting slym's care package today. Getting grains for a Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic PA. AND setting up to grill 6 ribeyes for family dinner tonight.

You can always tell the Colorado natives from the transplants. 3 days of cloudy weather and they are about to slit their wrists. As a transplant, I just laugh. St Louis is cloudy from Oct through Feb, with an occasional day or two of sun.

The view out my office window is crap. The view out the front door of our building is great. I'll post a pic when heading to lunch beers.

There is cheap land in southern CO (near Pueblo and Alamosa). The thing that kills you is water rights. Please don't make me explain water right, because I don't think I can.

I can explain it, but we don't have that kind of time.

Pueblo sounds about right. I think about 30 miles south?? I'd be doing rain water collection along with solar/wind power....propane of course also! It was in the middle of nowhere, sounded perfect.

It's illegal to collect rain water in Colorado. See above.

I thought rainwater collection was illegal in CO?

Edit: nevermind, the googly-eyed cat beat me to it

It's illegal to collect rain water in Colorado. See above.

Although, I'd love to read the law and reasoning behind this, in a weird way, I feel better about not being allowed to move there.

It's illegal even if one has no ability to hook up any municipal water supply? That makes no sense to me.

Although, I'd love to read the law and reasoning behind this, in a weird way, I feel better about not being allowed to move there.

It's illegal even if one has no ability to hook up any municipal water supply? That makes no sense to me.

Yep, still illegal. Long story.

They are trying to pass a law to allow rain barrels, but it has taken a long time and I'm not sure it will happen.

It seems odd but there's valid reasoning behind it when you consider the possibility for huge operations to really dick the watertables over. Obviously it needs some refinement though.

Rain water is federal property until it goes into the ground. Some states enforce it and some don't. A friend of mine had the sheriff come out and watch as he dumped rain barrels. Right next to his Ag well pulling 700 gal/min.

Coffee. Friday. Working tomorrow

Rain water is federal property until it goes into the ground. Some states enforce it and some don't. A friend of mine had the sheriff come out and watch as he dumped rain barrels. Right next to his Ag well pulling 700 gal/min.

Coffee. Friday. Working tomorrow

we are moving into debate territory here, so my final comment on it is this:

If it's your water, then fix my roof when YOUR (federal government or whoever owns the rights) water damages MY property (hail) and get your snow off my driveway or i'll charge you a storage fee. :D

2016-04-08.png

Okay Friendly Friends and others, I'm hosting a beer giveaway open to all the usual suspects.

Hunter's RockPaperScissors Overly-Complicated Beer Giveaway!

Rules:
1) Anyone who wishes to participate will need to send me a PM.
2) Signups will close the evening of Sunday April 17th.
3) All those signed up at that time will be divided up into a bracket system, pairing competitors into twos.
4) For each round of the bracket, opposing competitors will PM me their throw - Rock, Paper, or Scissors.
5) I will then announce who threw what and who the winners are, and advance to the next round.
6) Repeat ad nauseum until only one Champeen remains.
7) Winner gets beer! Will it be Big Flats? Let's hope not.

Signups begin... meow!

How about rock, paper, sizors, lizard, spock??

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitches come off Monday then hes' free to go. I think the worst part of this for him has been me not letting him romp around. His exercise has been like quick 20min walks. Dude needs to run!

Hey friends. Tigers up already. World Series this year. I take rock, every time. I can't wait to visit Colorado again, only been there once and I loved it. Been to Seattle once and that was great too, although it probably had something to do with mass consumption of beer and food that I didn't have to buy. Been to Texas three times, once when my SIL lived in Houston and twice to stay in convention center purgatory and not see much else.

They say everything is bigger in Texas, but those lupine, not so much.

Visit in July August or September. Sunny, not too hot, and really long days.

Believe it not, that's my first picture of a flower living here in 22 years. Had to Google it!😒

Golf bud traveled to Idaho last August. Hear 4 rounds are possible in a day.

Old CO saying: whiskey's for drinking, water's for fighting

I thought it was: "In the West, we fight over water, whisky, and women. In that order."

Pretty sure it was Ben Franklin that said it. ;)

Yeah, water law in the West is a mess....an extremely complicated/contradictory mess...

Believe it not, that's my first picture of a flower living here in 22 years. Had to Google it![emoji19]

Golf bud traveled to Idaho last August. Hear 4 rounds are possible in a day.

There are a few varieties of lupine (TX bluebonnet are one type). My parents had freakishly big alpine lupine that grew in their yard. I wish I had gotten some seeds.

At Odd Side. I recommend the Troll Toll. Not sure about Punky Brewster. I think I like tangerine of my rye but I haven't decided yet.

Yes that's me floating.. My former avatar until I received the brilliant one from @Pslyocide (which now seems moot and deletable as it just make me look like a tit) was from the groundbreaking "Real Ale Twats" (always find it funny that UK rude words are not censored on HBT) in Viz.

I'm probably ole. TR old not sure but ole e-bloody-nough.

Those beers all look terrible. I know there are threads on Hoof hearted and heir ugliness and hilarious laissez-faire name. Look like yeast starters to me.

So like most of them then.

Carson city

lansing

Trenton

Sacramento

Austin

Olympia

Salem

Baton Rouge

Lincoln

Springfield

etc

For certain no government unless WW3

Peasant! (!)

Banned for posting in his usual manner I'd guess.

Thanks P. You still here?

BMDM Thanks. QOTD I'll miss.

Not me. Best of luck with the bar Jon. My well wishes stand sincere.

Thanks for the +1 Q. Means a lot coming from a solid like yourself.

P. They were broken. That is vey clear to you as well as to me.

I would appeal to all FF

My platform 2016

Just pick up as t'were before.

No need to change our up-until-recently normal behavior as it was clearly fine.

One erroneous swallow doesn't make a summer .Place it to onesie, file it away and move on.

Let's be friendly. All of us. Lets have fun. I have fun here and feel strongly enough to write this *****ey post.

Laugh at me as you may, to me it's worth it for I value the virtual friendships I have gleaned here. I sure as flock don't make many friends changing nappies and reading HBT online in the dark as I put kids to sleep.

Im not tapped or otherwise, i don't Facebook, gram,snap, imag, vox or Line. HBT is my nerd outlet. Good to know others are similarly nerded.

I'm never going to queue for a beer release or know about the latest seasonal saison/BBAQ but I sure do enjoy learning about your exploits.

HBT needs a place for all of this nonsense. This thread is the place for that. It rightfully belongs here and some of us have made that happen (not me I'm an ignoramus when it comes to beer). I am one but of a few beer-idiots that have learned a ton from y'all. It should continue. "The needs of the many etc..."

HBT may need a place for such nonsense, but it unfortunately doesn't seem to be on HBT. Sorry. But the issue isn't about "doing what the police say" i.e. Following the rules. It's about the lack of consistency of how the rules are enforced and the arbitrary manner of the police state. To take your analogy further: When the police abide by brutal practices, favoritism and won't allow any criticism of their technique then it may be a moral imperative to fight back. When a police state is instituted for unjustified reasons you do not just sit back and say "it's the police, abide by their rules or you asked for it!"

It's not a literal analogy, so take it for a simple comparison. I'm just saying I think you're missing the point of what the real rub is. The fact is there is now a better place to chit chat, by just about any measurement. Why bother with this one? It's only a matter of time before more BS occurs and this thread gets shut down because it makes someone feel better about themselves. We aren't their customers apparently.

With that, goodbye.

HBT may need a place for such nonsense, but it unfortunately doesn't seem to be on HBT. Sorry. But the issue isn't about "doing what the police say" i.e. Following the rules. It's about the lack of consistency of how the rules are enforced and the arbitrary manner of the police state. To take your analogy further: When the police abide by brutal practices, favoritism and won't allow any criticism of their technique then it may be a moral imperative to fight back. When a police state is instituted for unjustified reasons you do not just sit back and say "it's the police, abide by their rules or you asked for it!"

It's not a literal analogy, so take it for a simple comparison. I'm just saying I think you're missing the point of what the real rub is. The fact is there is now a better place to chit chat, by just about any measurement. Why bother with this one? It's only a matter of time before more BS occurs and this thread gets shut down because it makes someone feel better about themselves. We aren't their customers apparently.

With that, goodbye.

Lets not poke the bears by discussing or criticizing the moderation. That has gotten threads shut down in the past and does not hold true to the friendliness of this thread.

I am sorry to see you quitting this thread (site?)

Back