A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think brown in a descriptive is off-putting. I like brown ales though. Just think there's plenty of nicer ways to describe a color/aroma/flavor than brown. It's sort of the maximal entropy color when it comes to crayons and playdoh.

Mahogany malt would be so much more inviting.

Never used white wheat. Only ever used the nominally red variety.

I'd give them a call/shoot them an email. I'm sure it's an oversight. I initially entered 3, got an email to confirm I wasn't a bot and edited it to 1. I confirmed my entry and paid without ever receiving my confirmation email having to change my password in the process. Did you receive the confirm you're not a bot email?

I later saw the confirm email.

Guinness yum, cigar pass. Didn't have you pegged as a cigar smoker. Not sure why I would have pegged you one way or another. Funny how we create mental images of cyber folks on a forum like this.

LOL the skid mark pic. That bears all the consistent features. Have you done a smell test yet? Probably too lazy.

Too scared, lol!

Cigar smoking is newer, and only when I brew. Don't smoke anything else. I enjoy them though. I'm unhealthy enough as it is, though, so I limit 'em.

Guinness was great. Wish I had more. Onto brown. Sad day having no more DEM.

Agreed -- brown is a very boring descriptor. Brown ales are OK, hoping my.. whatever Im brewing.. brown porter? turns out well.

Dear God,

SWMBO has dragged me into famous footwear and is now shoe shopping. Please let a stranger nut tap me just so I know I'm still alive.

K Thx

Every time mine wants me to go shoe shopping I ensure I'm suitably flatulent so I get sent from the shop in less than 5 minute's

I'd give them a call/shoot them an email. I'm sure it's an oversight. I initially entered 3, got an email to confirm I wasn't a bot and edited it to 1. I confirmed my entry and paid without ever receiving my confirmation email having to change my password in the process. Did you receive the confirm you're not a bot email?

I later saw the confirm email.

I got a Thanks for applying email and an application confirmation email, no bot email.

I replied with a copy of my confirmation email but haven't heard anything back yet. Could try calling next I guess.

Ive never jumped on the citra bandwagon like everyone else. I don't get anything special out of it. Might as well just stick to me centennials.

White Street Brewing makes an awesome IPA called "The Hoptimist", hopped with Amarillo & Citra. I am set to try this combo at some point.

What styles are you entering?

Kegged my SHV Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout yesterday (think BCBCS without the bourbon barrel). Kegging my Specialty Wood BCBS-ish stout tomorrow. Brewing an IPA, DIPA, and Scots ale by the weekend (~1.75 gallon batches). I've brewed all three on a two week time frame before, so I'm not that concerned. The only difference between these batches and standard is that I'm mixing up the hops. I'm scaling down my standard single hop IPA/DIPA recipes, but going to do some hipster mixes of probably Simcoe/Citra/Mosaic for the hop profile. My Scots ale is long standing tried and true (a scaled down version of the Way Heavy that made it to finals last year). Probably going to do the 80/- version (last year's was the 160-180/-). I'm considering making a small batch of my American Amber in the event they let me do 6 after all the payments are settled (last year they gave people additional spots).

I have to say that this is truly an English style DIPA. Firm earthy/floral bitterness with a nice toasty/biscuity malt balance.

Ive never jumped on the citra bandwagon like everyone else. I don't get anything special out of it. Might as well just stick to me centennials.

Completely different hops with both of their own strengths. I love them both as single hops.

White Street Brewing makes an awesome IPA called "The Hoptimist", hopped with Amarillo & Citra. I am set to try this combo at some point.

That sounds like winning to me. I love Amarillo as a single hop in both IPAs and Ambers (I've done the Amberillo much more often though). The only reason I've never placed higher than 3rd with the Amber was age (two comps too old and one too young).

Edit: Just looked it up and I've had it. It was old at that point though and hops were dulled.

Completely different hops with both of their own strengths. I love them both as single hops.

And that's why I'm not a BJCP judge, heh. Did a citra smash and really didnt get anything unique from it. I seem to be about the only one that doesnt love it though.

Chilled to 100F and then threw in the conical, letting glycol do the rest. Too lazy to keep chilling myself, plus it gives me a chance to dump some break material. All cleaned up, sub 4hr brew. Much arrogance. Wish I had a steak toaster.

I seem to be about the only one that doesnt love it though.

I like it... But think can make beer too fruity. There's only so many fruity IPAs I can drink. Plus it's in everything now, just like Amarillo / Simcoe combo used to be and Centennial before that.

Some idiot waitress actually told me that there was peppers in the helles...then goes "that's pretty weird if you ask me" my thought was.... Don't sound like a ******. So I ordered an EEPA instead.

It was the worst selling beer of their core lineup, maybe more people than her thought it was a pepper beer. I liked HTH better than this, but I can see this being a huge seller for novice craft drinkers.

Having a hb Andy Mike ipa. This keg should kick soon. Chilling more ipa.

Called it. Got a 2 Oz sample that was actually clear. Quite surprised.

Onto sone nugget nectar since it's the lowest abv beer in the house that I can see. Fairly buzzed, and making a beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy for when the family shows back up.

Called it. Got a 2 Oz sample that was actually clear. Quite surprised.

Onto sone nugget nectar since it's the lowest abv beer in the house that I can see. Fairly buzzed, and making a beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy for when the family shows back up.

Doing the same with dinner - plus the blackberry cobbler I didn't make last night. Took forever running around doing the price comparisons. :(

Came home and had this while showing my son how to build a spreadsheet to tabulate the data and give us shopping list in the end.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455405567.014459.jpg

Now having this while getting dinner ready to eat.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455405489.058997.jpg

Doing the same with dinner - plus the blackberry cobbler I didn't make last night. Took forever running around doing the price comparisons. :(

Came home and had this while showing my son how to build a spreadsheet to tabulate the data and give us shopping list in the end.
View attachment 337386

Now having this while getting dinner ready to eat.
View attachment 337385

I'll join you with an OB. I taught my some to airbrush today, well at least enough to spray his pinewood derby car he decided to go BB8 themed.

Meat will be tossed in the grill momentarily

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455406299.439172.jpg

Back