A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mulling over brewery names as I've been told I need to trademark something ASAP as more and more names are taken every day. Thinking I should just use my home "brewery" name, but it's iffy (local breweries using some of the same words, and a Japanese soft drink company with a "cider" with the American translation trademarked verbatim indicated via USPTO search), and unable to come up with better ideas, plus I could claim some sort of usage via having it on Untappd for so long. But a minimum of $225 to file is a lot to pay for something I'm worried would quickly get contested. Any lawyers or others with at least relevant knowledge in the house?

Mulling over brewery names as I've been told I need to trademark something ASAP as more and more names are taken every day. Thinking I should just use my home "brewery" name, but it's iffy (local breweries using some of the same words, and a Japanese soft drink company with a "cider" with the American translation trademarked verbatim indicated via USPTO search), and unable to come up with better ideas, plus I could claim some sort of usage via having it on Untappd for so long. But a minimum of $225 to file is a lot to pay for something I'm worried would quickly get contested. Any lawyers or others with at least relevant knowledge in the house?

Qhrumphf's Funk Brewery? Fuk'en Qhrumphf Brewery?

Qhrumphf's Funk Brewery? Fuk'en Qhrumphf Brewery?

My wife suggested using Qhrumphf in it. Because that is used by no one anywhere but me, and I can claim usage of the term for years (albeit via online handles, beer related and otherwise). But I don't think that'll work from a marketing perspective. But I suppose it's memorable enough. I don't know. Marketing frightens me.

Just got the saddest news. Our friend's 4 month old son passed away yesterday from SIDS. This was the friend that named their son the same name we had picked out for ours. Our boys were born 3 weeks apart. So heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Prayers for the family and friends!!! Seriously couldn't imagine.

My wife suggested using Qhrumphf in it. Because that is used by no one anywhere but me, and I can claim usage of the term for years (albeit via online handles, beer related and otherwise). But I don't think that'll work from a marketing perspective. But I suppose it's memorable enough. I don't know. Marketing frightens me.

Pretty sure costumers will just say "Yo, you got some Q!?" How many breweries start with Q? Unique...you can rhyme it....great marketing to me.

I'd go the opposite direction. Name it Budweiser, should get a C&D letter from AB within a week, make a stink about it and get free publicity you could never pay for, change your name to anything else and advertise that the 'man' forced you to do it.

Hooligan Hill Brewing.

I'd go the opposite direction. Name it Budweiser, should get a C&D letter from AB within a week, make a stink about it and get free publicity you could never pay for, change your name to anything else and advertise that the 'man' forced you to do it.

Do what google did and trademark every combination of letters out to 6. You have it all covered.

Believe it actually has to be used in commerce to qualify as date of first usage. But I'm not a lawyer.

No, I don't believe you do either.

Once everyone figures out how to pronounce it and remembers it is very unique.

It probably is my easiest route. But I'm not 100% sold. But ultimately the odds of someone taking that are so slim anyway that I can sit on it and think of alternatives. Besides, even thinking about it at this point makes me feel like the 16 year old kid drawing "album art" for his "metal band" when he barely knows how to play the f***ing guitar.

Dry Stout.

20160130_235514[1].jpg

Brew is in the fermentation bag to cool the last few degrees, pitch in the morning. Drinking some hb IPA.

WP_20160130_003.jpg

Always caving to peer pressure. Cheers!

I'm one of those impressionable youths you read about.

Note to self. Buy domain names
  • Qhrumphf.com
  • Qhrumphfbrewery.com
  • Qhrumphfxxx.com
  • Qhrumphfbeer.edu
  • Qhrumphfishlightbeer.co.uk/teenagemutantheroturtles
  • Qhrumphf.gov

The latter being in anticipation of your massive success and purchase of an appropriately sized European Dutchy or Latin American Oligarchy. I shall see you in court sir. Good Day.

Always wondered what sort of market forces influenced the buying of bacon bits. Beer pressure.

Gotta buy some bacon bits. That looks good. .:)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKCAGb6Pzcg[/ame]

I like y'all, but I'm not taking the time to read through the missed 275 posts. The new Casa Del Hooligan is occupied and I'm on beer number 3 after popping some Percocet the wife found unpacking things. Destroyed by back, legs, and feet. The Belgian dubbel is insanely good but I can't drink more than one. The Scottish 80/- on the other hand can be pounded one after the other. Time to brew an IPA though, I need some hops

Back