A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin, is that your hb marzen ?? any recipe around ?? ... :tank:

No. That's an IPA I made recently with a little Carafe III special to play with the color a touch.

Having a Marzen now.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461382465.780356.jpg

I'd be happy to share the recipe with you if you want. Not a problem. My first effort at making one. It finished a touch higher than planned at 1.014 (just at the edge of the style).

Here are the bones but I can PM to the BS file if you want.

5.5 gallons 76% BH efficiency OG 1.057 90 minute boil Hybrid decoction mash

Grist

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 10.27.54 PM.png

Hops

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 10.28.23 PM.png

Yeast

Saflager 34/70

Water

Water Profile.png

Mash

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 10.29.02 PM.png

It needs a little tweaking i think and has not been battle tested in competition so not ready to add to the database.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461382465.780356.jpg

Made a Centennial Blonde Ale. Took Gavin's advice on using gelatin and man did it clear up nice! Should have wiped the condensation off the glass, it's even clearer than the pic shows. Thanks Gavin!

IMG_0493 Bug's Blonde.jpg

Made a Centennial Blonde Ale. Took Gavin's advice on using gelatin and man did it clear up nice! Should have wiped the condensation off the glass, it's even clearer than the pic shows. Thanks Gavin!

Hey @jcav

Welcome to the friendly thread. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation. Posting a pic the right way up can be a bear. :p

MMm heavy vienna, sounds great

I loooove Vienna I have learned.

Simple lager grists. No point trying to reinvent the wheel.

When we doing a biertrade iiJohniikii?

Now a wild untamable beast of a beer

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461390281.868641.jpg

No idea what I'm tasting but like it very much I do.

@m00ps you are one creative brewer. Probably more ideas and innovation in this beer than I've ever had.

Very enjoyable.

Clarity is not great Lol. Not an issue with this style I'm guessing. (Sarcastic font btw).

Marvelous bier. Truly remarkable.

Hey @jcav

Welcome to the friendly thread. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation. Posting a pic the right way up can be a bear. :p

I loooove Vienna I have learned.

Simple lager grists. No point trying to reinvent the wheel.

When we doing a biertrade iiJohniikii?

Definitely need to get something going soon worthy of a trade, I'd like to drink some of your refreshmentscience.

Walmart Cola. Finishing the preparations for brewing. This might be the earliest I've started a brew day. [emoji28]

About to start the vorlauf. Just realized I didn't add any extra base grain to account for efficiency. And I haven't replace my graduated cylinder for my hydrometer. Guess I'm shooting in the dark.. Dark English Mild :fro:

It was marked down, from what??? Reminded me of Gavin_C and since all European beers are the same anyway. ��

I've never had a Berliner Weiße .

Need to look out for one. I've still not tried making a sour. That seems like it might be a good place to start.

Having an afternoon IPA. Beautiful day here.

7.jpg

As Taps plays in the background, 5gal of wort tipped over in cooling tub. Last remains. Did nail OG add 10 for warm wort, bitter and super hoppy..was happy...was...time to drink!

Sorry to hear that. What a disaster.

On the SG readings. 10 points is too big a correction to be making. You will undoubtedly get very inaccurate data this way.

Whats the rush in reading SG? Just cool the sample to where it should be and your data will be more reliable and less subject to errors inherent in any corrective algorithm.

attachment.php

No. That's an IPA I made recently with a little Carafe III special to play with the color a touch.

Having a Marzen now.
View attachment 351469

I'd be happy to share the recipe with you if you want. Not a problem. My first effort at making one. It finished a touch higher than planned at 1.014 (just at the edge of the style).

Here are the bones but I can PM to the BS file if you want.

5.5 gallons 76% BH efficiency OG 1.057 90 minute boil Hybrid decoction mash

Grist

View attachment 351462

Hops

View attachment 351463

Yeast

Saflager 34/70

Water

View attachment 351465

Mash

View attachment 351464

It needs a little tweaking i think and has not been battle tested in competition so not ready to add to the database.View attachment 351469

Thank you sir, the bones will work fine. very friendly i must say ... :)

Thank you sir, the bones will work fine. very friendly i must say ... :)

No worries mate.

The hopping needs to be increased a touch, and I'm not a fan of that yeast for reasons I won't bore you with.

Color, while at the lower end of the range is acceptable but I'd like it a little more red.

@gavin nice looking dunkel, impressively clear from the get go

@piano what? You lost the whole batch? Damn sorry

I made a beligian wit, needs oat to be a blue moon clone

Sorry to hear that. What a disaster.

On the SG readings. 10 points is too big a correction to be making. You will undoubtedly get very inaccurate data this way.

Whats the rush in reading SG? Just cool the sample to where it should be and your data will be more reliable and less subject to errors inherent in any corrective algorithm.

attachment.php

Wort was around 125f at the time. Put a sample in the fridge before cooling kettle. It's right on, tested many times, from 125 to room temp .

@piano what? You lost the whole batch? Damn sorry

Yep, was chilling fine. Put the lid on and looked away, over it went. I usually don't keep the coolong tub that full. I have a heat exchanger, aka Thermonator. Just need to mod kettle and get some fittings. This is a nice kick in the butt to get going,

Sorry man damn, i would have been tempted to turn it into a 10? Gallon batch just a little more diluted.

Wort was around 125f at the time. Put a sample in the fridge before cooling kettle. It's right on, tested many times, from 125 to room temp .

Fair enough P. Room temperature is not typically correct for taking hydrometer readings. 68 or 60F are more common. The correct temperature will be written on the hydrometer.

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 8.16.08 AM.png

Fair enough P. Room temperature is not typically correct for taking hydrometer readings. 68 or 60F are more common. The correct temperature will be written on the hydrometer.

You are correct sir, but I don't wear my glasses during brewing so I wouldn't even notice the .001 difference. 😎

Of course didn't notice the kettle tipping over either...

Oh, Avery Raja...nice chit!

Back