A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grabbed a 2015 Bigfoot out of the cellar. Meh. Better than it was a year ago when I took two sips and dumped it.
I don't get it.

Has anyone had Warsteiner Winter Lager? Wife had one the other day and loved it. She wants me to brew something like it. I only had a couple sips but I remember not being sure what style of beer it was. Looking online it's saying a dunkel, but man it was not your typical dunkel. It was malty but not near as dark and sweet as most dunkels. I also can't find it again to try it out. I've never done a Munich10L smash but wouldnt surprise me if it was mostly that maybe with just a touch of some 20L for color. I have like 4lbs of Munich10L on hand and some pils, what I think is caramunich. Maybe just throw generic brown lager at her and see what she thinks.

Loved me some Velvet Hammer. Drank many a pint at Meddlesome Moth. Do they have any other good beers? I left when they had just put out their second. It was mediocre, but I cant remember what style.

Don't know. I think that's the first of theirs I've had. I was very pleasant. Lovely velvety head. One of the best named beers ever. Color is beautiful too.

Think I'll brew a pale of some sort this weekend. My chico slurry has been dormant for a good 4 or 5mo I tihnk and I'm too lazy to starter, but brewing an ipa in a few weeks; so I'll just brew a generic pale and see wazzup. Debating on just going for quaffer or trying something intredasting. What should I experiment with, @m00ps ?

I vote Intredasting.

Grabbed a 2015 Bigfoot out of the cellar. Meh. Better than it was a year ago when I took two sips and dumped it.
I don't get it.

I usually prefer the English (styled) Barleywines (most English Barleywines I've had have been American brewed) to the American ones (why would anyone in their right mind load something up with hops to then age it???), so I haven't had Bigfoot too many times but I tend to like it maybe 2 years old. But my former boss gave me a 2000 bottle I drank last year that had held up beautifully and was downright incredible. No hops left, barely any carb left, but holy malt.

I usually prefer the English (styled) Barleywines (most English Barleywines I've had have been American brewed) to the American ones (why would anyone in their right mind load something up with hops to then age it???), so I haven't had Bigfoot too many times but I tend to like it maybe 2 years old. But my former boss gave me a 2000 bottle I drank last year that had held up beautifully and was downright incredible. No hops left, barely any carb left, but holy malt.

I need to put a thing in the fridge.

Or do I? Should I just cellar that thing forever?

Drinking some boba tea Mrs Hooligan brought me home after getting my phone fixed. Now I can share a pic of sat nights brew and setting up my Top Tier. Still gotta get the other shelf mounted and get my chugger pump fixed or replaced, but it's a step up for sure. Probably gonna drop the coin on a mounted burner for the HLT in the near future. Have a buddy that is gonna give me a few kegs and I still have to build the manifold for the 25gal cooler to make some big ass beers. Next equipment upgrade after that is a 15bbl brew house if I have my way.
View attachment 344469

Vandal Eyes with dinner. Modern times Black House for desert.
No pic too lazy. Forgot how nice it is to see the kids out playing after dinner.

Well I'm fine sitting on the other two for 10 more years. No reason to open them anytime soon.

Personally I really like Bigfoot and I don't care for most English Barleywines. I plan on holding enough of it to try a 3 year or so vertical.

Taking stock after the Texas trip and a few purchases around town.
The good news is I don't have a drinking problem.
The bad news is, a drinking problem is the only way to solve my beer buying problem.

I'm sure there are a few of us that might have that issue.

Personally I really like Bigfoot and I don't care for most English Barleywines. I plan on holding enough of it to try a 3 year or so vertical.

I alternate between Big Foot and Old Fog Horn. Never seem to be able to keep a barley wine much longer than 1 year be feeling like it should be enjoyed.

No movement on one of my half batches of 100% Brett saison so far, so I went ahead and pitched some ecy14 single saison I had in the fridge and set a temp controller for 78f. Hopefully it doesn't blow the airlock off tomorrow. Should probably get a blow off on there before I go to work.

Instructor said 'eff the wings' and took us out for beer and burgers while all of us reminisced about the tournament.

Didn't have much instructions for me other than a few small pointers, said he could tell I gave 110 and that I could be at that level within the next year if I work on them.

Awesome Monday night, but **** work, amirite?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458014769.684961.jpg

Water and then bed. Finally caught up on the mountains of dishes that didn't get done while I was studying and my wife was working ridiculous hours. Pile became mountain became mountain range. Gross.

Good part is, I get my new car tomorrow. One with a working f***ing radio. But I have to drive a ways to get it. And they expected me to somehow keep my current one at home. Yeah, uh, it doesn't work that way. Schedule it somewhere metro accessible (or at least busable/uberable/cabable/etc), and maybe. Not way up in the Baltimore burbs.

Marks up early. One thing that sucks being sick, you need your rest but can't sleep. Atleast there is no rush to get home tomorrow.

Hope you recover quickly. Are you back to work tomorrow or will you have an extra day to rest?

Getting coffee at the train station:
Me - Large coffee, two Splenda
Droopy eyed clerk - Wat?
Me - Large. Coffee. Two. Splenda.
DEC - Wat you want innit
Me - Two...Splenda
DEC - That it?
Me - Yep

I know it's early but it really isn't that hard to follow!!!

Hope you recover quickly. Are you back to work tomorrow or will you have an extra day to rest?

Getting coffee at the train station:
Me - Large coffee, two Splenda
Droopy eyed clerk - Wat?
Me - Large. Coffee. Two. Splenda.
DEC - Wat you want innit
Me - Two...Splenda
DEC - That it?
Me - Yep

I know it's early but it really isn't that hard to follow!!!

And they want min. wage to be $15 an hr.?
Coffee no Splenda. with a splash of almond milk. Only got two more days of work before mini vacation begins.

If you really wanted a huge karma payment, probably pay back what you received and even find yourself in the black, you could just send something up here.

Im actually sort of curious on how much a shipment to Norway would run. I had shipped off a few boxes to Hawaii that were expensive. I shipped on to Canada that wasn't as bad. I've never done anything overseas.

Im actually sort of curious on how much a shipment to Norway would run. I had shipped off a few boxes to Hawaii that were expensive. I shipped on to Canada that wasn't as bad. I've never done anything overseas.

We paid about 80 euro to ship a case of win-err, olive oil from Italy a couple of years ago. Not as bad as I feared, but it did take almost three weeks to arrive.

Back