A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from bringing puppy up to wife's work for a visit to cheer up some old folks. Man, that'd be such a killer way to pickup chicks. Both people visiting their relatives and hot nurse aides.

I have so many things now that would be money with the ladies that I didn't have before I got married. Most notably, puppies and little girls.

What's the lowest anyone has mashed? Brewing a beer tomorrow inspired by Brewdog 5 AM Saint and they mash at 144° definitely 90 minutes.

Used a 10gal tun for a 3.5gal PA. Didn't account for lack of grain to hold heat. Went from 151 to 145 in 60min. Efficiency was higher then expected.

Had a NB Hoppy Blonde for the first time, which I really like. Had a little nap, woke up in time to see Sparty pull it out. About to smash some chili and I'm momentarily caught up on laundry. Pretty good day.

Used a 10gal tun for a 3.5gal PA. Didn't account for lack of grain to hold heat. Went from 151 to 145 in 60min. Efficiency was higher then expected.

Full volume mash? I'm thinking of doing that for my DEM. Since it's so few lbs of grain in my 10 gallon igloo.

Ok. Check on the inside of the housing assembly for a derating wattage label. It may be a heat issue. Are the cans in an insulated ceiling?

Not at home right now, but they're all different styles of lights too, and none are cans.

Had a Mango Even Keel and a Citrusinensis so far, time for another beer.

Where have you been friendly friend? It's been a minute.
View attachment 343945View attachment 343946enjoying this old ass IPA. Glad they finally started packaging.

I don't know how you can can drink stuff that old. :)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457824852.582911.jpg
These guys just started canning also.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457824883.602804.jpg

Brewing related question- Wes feel free to ignore.
I've used a SS braid in the mash tun for close to 4 years now. Today was 3rd stuck sparge in a row.

Guessing I need:

1. a new braid, or
2. get a real false bottom.

Any real advantage to a false bottom vs braid?

Good evening friendly friends.

I regret to inform you all that my unwavering spirit did not win the day. Out of 18 competitors in my division, I finished 5th.

Our team finished 4th of 8.

There were ups and downs, whiffed shots and missed chances, but above all else, I gained more knowledge and made some great acquaintances within our art. I was happy to lose to them.

That being said, please make fun of me quickly, as the shame that I have brought upon my family hasn't completely sunk in yet.

For all of the encouragement and friendliness here, I will put all names that entered the contest in a random order and run a RNG to determine a winner.

I appreciate all of the well wishes, thank you. I'm going to go get drunk now. Stayed tuned for the winner tomorrow.

Cum Sum Nida.

View attachment 343949
View attachment 343950

I've used a SS braid in the mash tun for close to 4 years now. Today was 3rd stuck sparge in a row.

Guessing I need:

1. a new braid, or

Never used a braid. Never had a stuck sparge. Maybe coincidence, maybe not...

No, i did my usual sparging based on BS2 calcs. And..go ahead and slap me..what's DME? I see that acronym a lot..

Dark English Mild

slap-comment-for-share-on-myspace-on-slap-day.jpg

I regret to inform you all that my unwavering spirit did not win the day. Out of 18 competitors in my division, I finished 5th.

There were ups and downs, whiffed shots and missed chances, but above all else, I gained more knowledge and made some great acquaintances within our art. I was happy to lose to them.

That being said, please make fun of me quickly, as the shame that I have brought upon my family hasn't completely sunk in yet.

For all of the encouragement and friendliness here, I will put all names that entered the contest in a random order and run a RNG to determine a winner.

I appreciate all of the well wishes, thank you. I'm going to go get drunk now. Stayed tuned for the winner tomorrow.

Cum Sum Nida.

You have shamed us all. We will only forgive you when you are dead.;)

Oh wait, we're not in Japan...;)

That's still a good showing though. Congrats.

Guessing I need:

1. a new braid, or

Not the expert here, but went from the toilet SS hose strainer from home depot to true false bottom fitted to 10gal cooler and love it! I actually mash oatmeal separately anyway, but never an issue, easy to pull and clean.

Never used a braid. Never had a stuck sparge. Maybe coincidence, maybe not...

I had planned on getting a real false bottom many years ago, but a braid was like $5 when I built the mash tun. Figured it would last a couple brews. 4 years and at least 20 batches before it started giving me issues. Trying to figure out if I got lucky or if a braid will really last 3+ years for $5 or if I should just spend the $60-70 for a real false bottom and be done with it.

View attachment 343949
View attachment 343950

Guessing I need:

1. a new braid, or

I've never used a braid for fear of it collapsing and having stuck sparges so first thing I sought out was a high quality false bottom for my 10 gal cooler mlt. Pm Jaybird he makes amazing stuff, real high quality heavy gauge false bottoms and u send him the measurements of your mlt so it's fits perfect, mine does and I couldn't be happier. They're a little pricier than your average false bottom but well worth the money and I'm not getting kickbacks or anything just a satisfied customer. Oh and you can prob also keep your braid too just for extra filtration the false bottom will just sit right over it.

You have shamed us all. We will only forgive you when you are dead.;)

Oh wait, we're not in Japan...;)

That's still a good showing though. Congrats.

Thank you sir. The Omaha Kendo team was just too strong. They took 1st and 2nd, a member that outranks me in our gym took 3rd.

In the team sparring match, we got a team of all instructors first and hung well enough, but couldn't make it happen. We fought their students in the next match and lost to a decision.

However, the knowledge/experience gained was invaluable and I am happy that I could participate, no matter the outcome.

Highlight of the day: 35 Kumdo and Kendo practitioners sitting around in uniform eating Pho for lunch. It was surreal, lol.

Cum Sum Nida.

Did martial arts off and on for 20 years, would never make fun of a true competitor. Looking your opponent in the eye, as opposed to through a scope 300yards away, means something. Congratulations on your loss! Now pick your ass up and train harder next time!😉

All still friends??

Wait Omaha?? Fuc* yeah! Go Nebraska!! Am I disqualified??

Cum Sum Nida.
So shame thus not poking you, you did quite respectful and you can't commit hari-kiri with a cardboard tube anyway:D
Drinking hops.

View attachment 343949
View attachment 343950

Guessing I need:

1. a new braid, or

Wow! 4 yrs anit bad. My first 4 batches all were stuck sparges using a ss braid. I hated brewing. Felt like @thecadjockey was about to quit the hobby. LHBS was selling false bottoms for like $40 figured wth. Best investment ever!

Not the expert here, but went from the toilet SS hose strainer from home depot to true false bottom fitted to 10gal cooler and love it! I actually mash oatmeal separately anyway, but never an issue, easy to pull and clean.

i don't think any of us are experts here, just some friendly friends who enjoy drinking beer. :D That's exactly what i'll be doing - Home Depot SS hose strainer to a false bottom.

I've never used a braid for fear of it collapsing and having stuck sparges so first thing I sought out was a high quality false bottom for my 10 gal cooler mlt. Pm Jaybird he makes amazing stuff, real high quality heavy gauge false bottoms and u send him the measurements of your mlt so it's fits perfect, mine does and I couldn't be happier. They're a little pricier than your average false bottom but well worth the money and I'm not getting kickbacks or anything just a satisfied customer. Oh and you can prob also keep your braid too just for extra filtration the false bottom will just sit right over it.

I was looking at Jaybird's stuff. It helps when googling 'false bottom vs braid' that he comes up on this site:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=94688

Thank you sir. The Omaha Kendo team was just too strong. They took 1st and 2nd, a member that outranks me in our gym took 3rd.

In the team sparring match, we got a team of all instructors first and hung well enough, but couldn't make it happen. We fought their students in the next match and lost to a decision.

However, the knowledge/experience gained was invaluable and I am happy that I could participate, no matter the outcome.

Highlight of the day: 35 Kumdo and Kendo practitioners sitting around in uniform eating Pho for lunch. It was surreal, lol.

photos or it didn't happen. :) Actually, I would like to see a photo / video or two if you have any. sounds like a great day, now go get drunk.

Dayum!

Not pretty but should buy me another year, at least.

Have you seen thereifixedit.com?

Sup guys and gals?

He exists!

Cum Sum Nida.

Suck, but nice showing!

Had a Citrusinensis after finishing my run. Ankles held up during the run, but they and the knees are barking at me now. The beer helped me while I spread topsoil on my front yard to help the grass seed.

Now onto some hops from Ocelot Brewing. Pretty decent.

Attachments

• 1457827332764.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 42

That's the right outlook. No shame in being bested by someone better than you, especially if you gain knowledge from it. You learn a lot more from that than you would from winning, that's for sure.

Also, Pho sounds f***ing delicious. I was going to go assault the bag but now I think I'll walk up and do that instead.

Cum Sum Nida.

Wow man congrats!! I'm not overly competitive anymore. I used to run track in college but it was always a good feeling knowing you left it all on the track and made you want to train that much harder the next day. But in the sprite of your hobby View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457827426.481402.jpg

Cum Sum Nida.

Never a bad showing when you give your best but fall to a more experienced competitor! Prost for what you did accomplish! Now have some beer and bask in the adrenaline that I'm guessing is still flowing through your body.

Home from pub crawl and walking the dog. Then time for pizza and a visit to the cellar.

Cum Sum Nida.

Still placed better then I would of. Nice work

Not at home right now, but they're all different styles of lights too, and none are cans.

Had a Mango Even Keel and a Citrusinensis so far, time for another beer.

My interest is peaked. Next time one goes out, replace it and run a tally for how many hours it runs. They are only good for a couple hundred hours, but if they burn out as fats as you say they would have to be on 24/7

I suck at cardboard tube fighting.

Take solace in the fact that your unborn daughter will never feel the bite of the shame you have earned today. 'Twill likely be diminished sufficiently by the time of her heralded arrival.

4.001.jpg

Probably should drink 2 cans before next tournament

3.001.jpg

(Apologies for the recycled pic)

...(Congratulations on the great showing mate. Sounds like a great day. Fair Fecks)...

...I actually mash oatmeal separately anyway, ...

Unless you're mashing it with at least some other base malt this is not a good idea as flaked oats have 0 enzymatic potential. Its starches cannot self convert. Sorry to butt my nose in where it's not wanted/needed, just stuck out to me.

Back