a bad crush's affect on water absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why I got such crappy efficiency last batch. Normally I get 70%, this time i got 54%. I want to blame it on the crush since my procedure has been the same now for 3 years and my thermometer and hydrometer are correct.

i used 12lbs grain, 4 gallons water = ratio of 1.33 qts/lb.

The reason I suspect the crush is because I had a lot less water absorption from the first runnings than usual. Typically I get around .15 qts/lb absorption. That would equal 2.2 gallons of first runnings. Instead I got 3 gallons, which equals .083 qts/lb absorption. I was shocked to see 3 gallons, but thought nothing of it at the time.

I suspect there were alot of uncrushed, or partially crushed grains. I did not inspect the crush prior to using because a friend bought the grains from a different LHBS than I use and the grains were in a brown paper bag and not a clear sealed bag. I didn't even think to check. This is another reason I blame the crush, I've never bought from this other LHBS before so its a big unknown.

So am I safe in assuming it was a bad crush? Would uncrushed grains absorb less water than crushed ones?

It seems to be a valid progression of thought. I have no first-hand experience with water absorption of poorly crushed grain, but it seems correct to me.

also, i just realized that i usually get alot of grain dust when doughing in...so much so that i usually cover my mouth with my shirt. This time, nada

perhaps a large amount of dough balls as well. I wasn't there, and there are so many things that could contribute to less absorption.

Do you crush your own grains? I had some sporadic efficiency problems. It led me to get a motorized mill going. Seems like many efficiency problems (unless you really went haywire on hitting your numbers) come back to the crush.

While crushing some wheat at the LHBS the mill got jammed and then started slipping all over the place. They guy had to come and open the rollers to clear it. The end result was lower efficiency. This also happened once when I bought some pre crushed grains.

Seems like milling your own grains takes control of the biggest variable.

Back