80 degrees and covered in fruit flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTanium

Reaction score
Oh boy. We'll see how this turns out.

Crazy Belgians.

(pitched at 62°...up to 80° in less than 24 hours...)

This whole going-to-work business really interferes with brewing.

TyTanium said:
Oh boy. We'll see how this turns out.

Crazy Belgians.

(pitched at 62°...up to 80° in less than 24 hours...)

This whole going-to-work business really interferes with brewing.

Ya, work sucks and boy do I know some crazy Belgians!

Good luck with this batch:)

Look at my avatar...........

What yeast did you use? Getting that hot that fast can cause some fusels with certain yeasts. Others you are OK.

The WL blend of Chimay, Westmalle & Achouffe, 575.

Back down to 75° this AM. We'll see. I'm expecting jet fuel, so I'll be pleased with anything drinkable :). It's a dubbel.

Are the flies in the beer or just around it?

That's the big question. I'm fermenting in my brew kettle with saran wrap as a lid gasket...hoping that's kept them out. There were so many swarming around I didn't want to lift the lid to check.

The marginal cost was ~$6 (used your extra hops actually), so I won't be too bummed.

The WL blend of Chimay, Westmalle & Achouffe, 575.

Back down to 75° this AM. We'll see. I'm expecting jet fuel, so I'll be pleased with anything drinkable :). It's a dubbel.

With those yeasts you may be OK.. I have had the Chimay yeast get a little hot to quickly and it turned out fine. 1762 on the other hand produces fusels very fast if the temp gets to hot.

Give it some time and you should be ok.

So long as it got to active fermentation before the flies invaded, you will be just fine. The CO2 rushing off an actively fermenting beer will protect it plenty from flies. And even if it does get a minor infection, acetobacer in a dubbel isn't the end of the world, just condition them fast and drink quickly. Store the bottles int he fridge and you will be A-OK, even if not ideal.

Been 2 weeks in primary, krausen just started dropping. Down to 1.012, no noticeable effects from the fruitflies. Not as fusely / harsh as I was expecting either. It's gonna work.

It's a dubbel with EKG hops and TF Brown malt - very interesting. The brown nuttiness with the Belgian yeast is pretty cool.

Back