70qt Jarhill brew kettle for $65 shipped!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
That's right! I saw it on homebrewfinds and I bought it on eBay. It's a 70 qt (17.5 gallon) stainless steel brew kettle with lid for $65 shipped. I couldn't believe it. I had to buy it. It came in today and man this thing is HUGE!! I just made a mash tun and now I have my new brew kettle. My next batch will be my first all grain. I'm very excited. Here it is next to my 5 gallon econo brew kettle. Lol. Poor little fella.

Is this thing gonna be too big for 5 gallon AG batches?

image.jpg

You'll just have a high boil off rate. Can't think of any other issues, maybe might be wider than your burner so just be careful you don't knock it over.

You'll just have a high boil off rate. Can't think of any other issues, maybe might be wider than your burner so just be careful you don't knock it over.

Yeah. It's a little wider than my burner, not by much though. I figured the boil off would be crazy high. I think I'm gonna fill it with water and test it out before I brew next. I figured I'd put 8 or so gallons in it to start and see how much it boils off in an hour. Will that give me a good idea of the boil off or is wort going to behave differently? I've only done partial mash batches with a three gallon boil in my 5 gallon kettle...and now I have a 17.5 gallon kettle. Lol. I can't wait. I've been workin on a few AG recipes and I plan to brew a few recipes from some of the veterans here on HBT.

****! Just spent $111 on a 10 gallon that IMO is a lot more sturdy than this, but it's bit large for 5 gallon batches. How wide? Mine is wider than a keggle so boil off will be higher than a gallon/hour

EDIT, order it :p I will use this for when I do 10 gallon batches a few times a year. For $53 it's hard to say no and beats chopping up a keg.

How wide and tall is it?

****! Just spent $111 on a 10 gallon that IMO is a lot more sturdy than this, but it's bit large for 5 gallon batches. How wide? Mine is wider than a keggle so boil off will be higher than a gallon/hour

EDIT, order it :p I will use this for when I do 10 gallon batches a few times a year. For $53 it's hard to say no and beats chopping up a keg.

How wide and tall is it?

I'm not at home at the moment so I'll have to post back later with measurements. It's WELL worth the price though. It'll be a bit much for low gravity AG batches, but high gravity 5 gallon batches or 90 min boils will be a lot easier with the extra room.

I'm going to do a boil off experiment this weekend. So we'll see how bad the boil off is.

How sturdy is it?

I seem to recall Jarhill being the 'cheaper' version of the Concords. Only difference I see is Jarhill is 0.95mm thick while Concords are 1.0mm.

I assume by the price and lack of description the bottoms are pretty thin like the sides? No triclad

I used a thin aluminum 7 gallon turkey fryer kettle for 5 years so I am not too worried.

Thanks for the boil off test, looking fwd to the results.

I assume by the price and lack of description the bottoms are pretty thin like the sides? No triclad

I used a thin aluminum 7 gallon turkey fryer kettle for 5 years so I am not too worried.

Thanks for the boil off test, looking fwd to the results.

They appear to be all gone now anyway... I just checked ebay. I have a 13 gallon concord version and have been using it for almost a year with no issues.
just found the same jarhill being marketed under another brandname for much more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-5-Gallon...682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3382729a

Sorry guys. Plans for the weekend due to an unexpected call from my boss :mad: So the test might be Tuesday.

Got mine last night and it certainly is huge. I have no plans to use it anytime soon since I do primarily 5 gallon batches. Definitely a light duty pot and substantially less beefy as my 10 gallon I recently picked up with a tri-clad bottom and thinker material. Shouldn't affect performance since it's just a HLT/BK.

Back