Do I Need to Passivate a New Anvil Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can if it sounds fun but no you do not need to worry about it.

I've been around passivating stainless in medical devices, and undergoing a specific process i.e. nitric acid does indeed help and make a difference. But that's exposure to things like battery electrolyte and then sitting in aging ovens (temp, humidity) for long periods of time.

For the Anvil, boiling some wort, cleaning it afterwards, the naturally occurring passivation layer with simple exposure to ambient air is more than enough to do the job.

You can if it sounds fun but no you do not need to worry about it.

I've been around passivating stainless in medical devices, and undergoing a specific process i.e. nitric acid does indeed help and make a difference. But that's exposure to things like battery electrolyte and then sitting in aging ovens (temp, humidity) for long periods of time.

For the Anvil, boiling some wort, cleaning it afterwards, the naturally occurring passivation layer with simple exposure to ambient air is more than enough to do the job.
Thanks! I appreciate the input.

fwiw, the best acid to use for passivation of stainless steel at home is citric acid as a warm to hot solution, 4 to 10% acid by weight. Let sit for at least an hour but one can go a lot longer without issue, drain, then rinse with low-mineral water (RO or distilled) for the first rinse at least to avoid depositing minerals.

Citric acid is actually superior to nitric acid for passivation, somewhat surprisingly to me, with both being superior to other acids including oxalic.

As to whether an Anvil kettle needs passivation, I'd contact Blichmann Engineering for The Last Word on that, but I don't recall any complaints here about Anvil stainless gear developing rust issues, so I'd say "Probably not"...

Cheers!

Popping in with a related question... Had a buddy recently sell off/give away his brewing setup, and I got a 14 gallon SS Brewtech BrewBucket fermenter. Only problem is, he never cleaned it after his last brew session over 18 months ago... So it had some nice sludge at the bottom.

I've cleaned it out, but would it be a good idea to repassivate?

Latest posts

Back