5g --> 7.5g conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I saw this recipe for a Wehenstephaner clone and was going to brew it. I wanted to do a 7.5 gallon batch instead of 5 though so I plugged it into to Beersmith and it went from this:

1.050-1.052 OG

6lb 8oz 60% wheat malt
3lb 12.8oz 35% pils
6lb 8oz 5% munich in the 10L range

.75 oz tettnang at 60
.25 oz tettnang at 15
Yeast Wyeast #3068

To:

8lb 14oz Wheat Malt
5lb 3oz Pilsner
12oz Munich

1.03oz Tettnang 60min
.34 tettnang 15 min.

What do you all think of the conversion? I've never used beersmith before to convert batch sizes so I wanted to hear input from anyone. Thanks for any help and appreciate your input!

i scale up and down all the time in beersmith and have never seen any reason to doubt the results.

If you're going from 5 to 7.5 gallons, just multiply all of your ingredients by 1.5. I think some of the calculations are wrong

Not sure if the 12oz Munich in the converted recipe is a typo? All the other ingredients in the conversion come out to around 137% the amount of the original, so whatever Beersmith is doing, at least it's consistent (other than the Munich).

I know that Beersmith will take into account efficiency differences of equipment profiles when doing a recipe scaling, so if the 7.5 gallon equipment profile has a higher efficiency, that might explain why the grain amounts aren't 150% of the original as you'd expect. That shouldn't apply to the hop amounts though, so it's a bit of a mystery why it came up with those numbers.

Did you check/tick the "Match original gravity, color and bitterness" box when you did your conversion? If not, this may account for discrepencies.

The original munich should be only 8oz and the second should be then 12oz, so first is a typo. Other than that it looks good right?
thanks

Other than that it looks good right?

It depends on your efficiency. To hit 1.050 using the converted recipe, brewhouse efficiency would need to be about 69% (based on a volume of 7.5gal into the fermenter). To hit 1.052 it would need to be around 71.5%. If those numbers are in line with your typical efficiency, then the converted recipe should be good.

I would still go 1.5x on the hops though. Even though the difference is small, I don't see any reason not to do this.

1 1/8oz tett @ 60 (1.125oz)
3/8oz tett @ 15 (.375oz)

Back