5 hour Energy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
Anyone ever brewed with 5 hour energy drinks? I was think a small 3gal batch of a wheat beer and adding a couple of 5 hour energy berry to it. I figured it would be a good brain beer for a Saturday mowing/yard work/etc ale. Does that sound crazy?:drunk:

It does sound crazy, but it's probably just my opinion. Alcohol and energy drinks just shouldn't be put together in my opinion. It's extremely bad for you.

It does sound crazy, but it's probably just my opinion. Alcohol and energy drinks just shouldn't be put together in my opinion. It's extremely bad for you.

Umm why?

Alcohol CAN be bad for you and energy drinks CAN be bad for you, but I don't see why putting the 2 together would be any different than drinking them separately.

Umm why?

Alcohol CAN be bad for you and energy drinks CAN be bad for you, but I don't see why putting the 2 together would be any different than drinking them separately.

Mixing stimulants and depressants is not recommended by your doctor. Back in the day that was called a speedball and used Heroin and Coke. The list of people killed from this is pretty long and includes John Belushi and Chris Farley.

Because you're combining drugs that are completely different. Energy drinks are uppers, and alcohol is a downer. Alcohol naturally makes people a little tired. This is a sign that the body is fighting it and you need to relax. Adding energy drinks to the mix just confuses the body.

Also, since both alcohol and energy drinks are diuretics, you'll be going to the bathroom much more often. This just leaves you with a horrible hangover because your twice as dehydrated as you should be.

I suppose adding coffee in the beer could leave you with the same results, but the amount of caffeine in energy drinks is much higher than coffee.

Drinking a lot of beer also leads to a bad hangover, but no one is trying to talk anyone out of making beer on this forum. I doubt 2 "energy beers" a day would cause a hangover.

Are people confusing binge drinking with drinking energy drinks and beers?

Try drinking that same amount of beer spiked with energy drink and tell me which hangover is worse.

Yes, this is mainly discussing binge drinking, but bad is bad...regardless of how much you drink. And I realize that beer is bad for you too...but why make something worse?

As I said, my opinion is probably a bad one to take to heart. I've never liked energy drinks. I think it's just one more addiction that the world doesn't need. I have a friend who can't function anymore without a 5 hour energy every few hours.

Try drinking that same amount of beer spiked with energy drink and tell me which hangover is worse.

Yes, this is mainly discussing binge drinking, but bad is bad...regardless of how much you drink. And I realize that beer is bad for you too...but why make something worse?

As I said, my opinion is probably a bad one to take to heart. I've never liked energy drinks. I think it's just one more addiction that the world doesn't need. I have a friend who can't function anymore without a 5 hour energy every few hours.

So basically you have your own temperance movement against energy drinks?

I know a few alcoholics, THEY think they can't function without alcohol. Am I going to stop talking about beer on a beer forum because I know some people can't handle alcohol out there, NO. Some people can't handle food, Goddammit if I will not discuss a recipe online because I like to cook and eat.

Heck,

I am going to play devils advocate here.....

Do it, other that a batch of beer what do you have to lose?

If it works out you will have your own version of a "sparks"

Heck,

I am going to play devils advocate here.....

Do it, other that a batch of beer what do you have to lose?

If it works out you will have your own version of a "sparks"

Typically I'd agree. However, i've also heard that mixing the two drugs is very dangerous for your heart. Unfortunately, I don't have a source to cite. I wouldn't try it myself, but if you aren't worried about it, go for it. Just let anyone who drinks it know what's in it.

Isn't Red Bull and Vodka one of the most popular drinks among those college kiddies these days? Sounds like a version of that.

I say go for it - brew whatever you want. Sounds pretty nasty to me, but I'm not drinking it.

There are a lot of people that add coffee to their beer and that has quite a bit of caffeine.

I have added caffeine powder to a lawnmower light once, with out sterilization it caused gushers, probably about 3 grams for 5 gals.

Go to the vitamin store and get yourself some caffeine gel caps, split them open and add them to the end of the boil. They are super cheap.

Sounds nasty to me, but give it a try. If it turns out well, you have something great to drink. If it end up being nasty, you have something to serve to the in-laws at Thanksgiving. Either way, you win.:tank:

I think there is a big difference between adding “a couple” of these energy drinks to a 3 gallon batch of beer, and adding (for example) an entire one to each glass of beer you drink. Certainly no major risk, but the TTB is looking into whether to ban caffeinated alcoholic beverages (including coffee beers).

People use an entire pot of coffee for a five gallon batch, so I don't think 2-3 of these in a 3 gallon batch would be any different. They are advertised as having the caffene equivalent of 1 cup of coffee each. Let us know how it turns out.

Mixing stimulants and depressants is not recommended by your doctor. Back in the day that was called a speedball and used Heroin and Coke. The list of people killed from this is pretty long and includes John Belushi and Chris Farley.

This is the funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. Come on guy? Are you really comparing an alcoholic drink with some caffeine in it to a speedball?

Pretty dramatic and not even close to accurate.

This is the funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. Come on guy? Are you really comparing an alcoholic drink with some caffeine in it to a speedball?

Pretty dramatic and not even close to accurate.

I agree with him. No, it's not as bad as a speedball, but it's still bad. As mentioned above, the FDA is trying to ban caffeine in alcohol. There's a good reason for it.

No, I don't think mixing a few of these into a five gallon batch is anything to worry about...but the vodka and redbull that was mentioned is horrible for you. 2/3 redbull combined with vodka isn't something I'd be drinking a lot of.

5 Hour Energy consists of B vitamins, amino acids, and an unspecified amount of caffeine (presumably around 200mg). Too much of anything is bad for you and I wouldn't drink one of these things every day (mostly because of all the B vitamins), but I don't see how adding 2 of them to 3 gallons of beer would be harmful. The only danger of combining the two drugs that I can think of or find is dehydration due to the increased diuretic effect. Sure, you'll have a mildly increased diuretic effect combining the two, but we're only talking about roughly 12.5mg of caffeine per 12oz beer. Highly unlikely to have ANY noticeable effect. All of the dramatic news stories are related to BINGE drinking and much more caffeine than we're talking about.

Still, it's probably a bad idea for anyone with significant cardiac disease and what's the point? Caffeine does not counteract the sedative effects of alcohol very well, especially at these dosages, and it definitely won't give you any extra "pep". There's better/tastier ways to add berry flavor. If you want extra B vitamins (which hardly anyone needs unless they have a medical condition that causes malabsorption or chronic alcoholism) take a multivitamin a day.

Edit: The comparison to speedballs = ridiculous. Might as well compare a BB gun to a Howitzer.

:off: Rant incoming....Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
As mentioned above, the FDA is trying to ban caffeine in alcohol. There's a good reason for it.
It's the government; there$ only 1 rea$on I can think of them doing anything.

The FDA is also the same body that allows methamphetamine to be a prescription drug, considers marijuana to have a "High potential for abuse; no current accepted medical use in the United States", and constantly recalls medications it once said were safe because they finally discover they're not.

...end rant.

I'd try it. Expect extra bitterness from the nasty drink.

Mixing uppers and downers is bad in excess, but a little bit should be fine.

Not to get in the middle of this (because lord knows I do like a monster and vodka once in awhile) but my brother inlaw did have a mild stroke at 26 from to many jagerbombs.
That is jager and redbull. No major opinion just saying.

Ok,

Enough of the nonsense!!!

The "5 Hour Energy Drink" is nothing more than

Vitamins
Vitamin B6 Yeast Nutrient
Vitamin B12 Yeast Nutrient
Niacin (Vitamin B3) Yeast Nutrient
Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) Yeast Nutrient
Energy Blend
Citicoline Found in food
Tyrosine Found in food
Phenylalanine Found in food
Taurine Found in food
Malic Acid Found in food
Glucuronolactone Found in food
Caffeine 100-300 mg ( the same found in your morning latte)

This is not a typical energy drink.
The Liver damaging excessive B Vitamins will be consumed by the yeast !

Yes Red Bull, Monster and others like them can be bad for you.

BUT so can BEER !

As with anything MODERATION is KEY !

Brew your beer !

You will know if it is bad or not after a few weeks !

I agree with him. No, it's not as bad as a speedball, but it's still bad. As mentioned above, the FDA is trying to ban caffeine in alcohol. There's a good reason for it.

No, I don't think mixing a few of these into a five gallon batch is anything to worry about...but the vodka and redbull that was mentioned is horrible for you. 2/3 redbull combined with vodka isn't something I'd be drinking a lot of.

No offense, you are crazy also then. See all the posts above. I'm not advocating you drink large amounts of alcohol and caffeine together but the comparison to a speedball is still MEGA dramatic.

But if you are deciding to drink alcohol (which most would argue isn't exactly a vitality drink, although it does have it's own health benefits in moderation) than if you decide to have caffeine with it once in a while, I don't think it's that harmful. Just like anything else, everything in moderation.

And please don't tell me you live and die by what the FDA says.

No offense, you are crazy also then. See all the posts above. I'm not advocating you drink large amounts of alcohol and caffeine together but the comparison to a speedball is still MEGA dramatic.

But if you are deciding to drink alcohol (which most would argue isn't exactly a vitality drink, although it does have it's own health benefits in moderation) than if you decide to have caffeine with it once in a while, I don't think it's that harmful. Just like anything else, everything in moderation.

And please don't tell me you live and die by what the FDA says.

First off, I'm not the one comparing this stuff to a speedball. I said it's NOT as bad.

Second...as I've said again and again in this rediculous thread...I'm completely against energy drinks period. If you have some crazy passion for them, then I'm sorry I offended you. Just like coffee, ciggarettes, beer, liquor...it's bad for you.

And yes, moderation is the key...I'm not saying anyones out to get slammed off redbull and vodka (although most people who drink them are), I'm just stating my opinion and why I think it shouldn't be mixed with alcohol. Am I not entitled to a personal opinion anymore?

I never told the guy not to brew his 5 hour energy beer... I said "I wouldn't" brew it and that "I" don't think it's a smart move.

Enough said. I don't like arguing about something so petty.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in this whole exorcise. 5-Hour Energy ingredients are mostly vitamin B and caffeine. There is already a lot of vitamin B in the home brew (from the yeast), so what's the point of adding 5-Hour Energy into it? Just for the caffeine?

I would like to point out there there are commercial varieties of alcohol + energy drink on the market. I have tried "Tilt" and "B to the E", both Budweiser products and didn't like either. I just wanted to point out that this idea is currently commercially available....

OOh I like this one... Weeelll I guess in the long run it won't affect much except the bathroom usage throughout the night.... but It will act as a foaming agent in the beer so beware of that... Also the caffeinated portion of 5 hour energy is equivalent of 3 pints of regular drip coffee... Soooo the basis of what you said are a bit off... All in all hahah you may have very bad gas it may not affect you at all... and I could honestly see a chance for heart complications if you were doing a heavy night of drinking with a couple of pints of this... death meh maybe not but its possible you'd be hurting...

Hahahahah on that note give it a shot... If we don't hear back well... we know you died for a good cause!!!

(BTW) the actual inference on the matter of energy from one of those 5 hour energy drinks... the caffeine draw is only one cup but with the ammino acids and vitamin B complex kick jumps it so the actual change in your body energy use and temperature is astronomical... 1 of these suckers can actually increase your core temperature 2 degrees which is awesome!

Oh man, wow I guess you guys took this and ran with it. My concept was simple about making a Wheat styled beer and adding the 5 hour energy Berry version to it. I know that there are commercial brands available by Budweiser/Coors/Miller/Etc..and they're not very good (did you know they also make a crappy pumpkin ale??) The reasoning behind the ale was I wanted something to drink on a long hot day when you straight feeling worn down. I was looking to replace the brew water with 5 hour energy....just add a few bottles to a small batch. I like all the feed back I've gotten, but how should I go to implement this? Do you think I added to the mash? Boil? Secondary? I want to focus on the proof of concept...

Latest posts

Back