5 1 gallon batch suggestions for a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a 5 gallon batch of stout and then secondary in 5, 1 gallon jugs. I wanted to add mint chocolate in one, chili peppers in one. Anyone have any suggestions on amounts or what I could put in the other 3? Anyone ever did a chocolate cherry or chocolate peanut butter( I know it's out there)? Thanks

You gotta do coffee in one. I think it's mandatory? I would vote for some sort of fruit in another. Bourbon soaked oak cubes in the last. There's my 3 ideas.

I did this with my stout recipe i have been working on. I used one type of chili in one (Ancho), then another type of chili in another, cinnamon and vanilla in one, and then a mix of the two peppers. Left one gallon of just stout for a control batch. I didn't steam the peppers or other additives. I wish i had, cause i got infections, even though everything came out tasting great (did have serious carbonation issues. a bunch of geysers). I loved the cinnamon and vanilla stout. it was wonderful during the winter.

The cinnamon and vanilla sounds good how much did you use? What did you do to steam the peppers and how many did you use? The bourbon also sounds tasty, too many choices.

some sort of chocolate cherry, definately coffee/espresso, mint chocolate, rasberry peppermint, habanero, chipotle.

mail me one bottle of each

You should dry hop one, I love a roasty stout finish that starts with a good hop nose

I used a half ounce of peppers, one whole vanila bean, and one stick of cinnamon. As for steaming the peppers, i didn't but should have. it just makes sure there are no freeloaders (wild yeast and bacteria) that are gonna get to the beer. I think just steam them like vegetables. Put them in a steam tray, and put that over boiling water. steam them for 15-20? i'm sure there must be a post about this somewhere on here.

If you are working with peppers (or any fruit/vegetable) you need to sanitize them before adding them to your beer. You can put them in a pot with a little water (so they don't burn) and bring it up to 165F to pasteurize them. You could bring it up to boil but it isn't necessary and you might get some haze.

I would also freeze them to break down the cell walls and thaw them out before you sanitize and add to the beer. It will help release flavor.

The downside to doing only a gallon is that you will need to taste the beer every few days to see if it is spicy enough for your taste which will reduce how much end product you get.

Which peppers you choose and how much, and for how long all effect spiciness. I say, guess, and then see how you like it. Adjust from there.

i'm a newbie, how do you break it down, and by that i mean, 1)when 2)what do you use for the 1 gallon stage and is there anything else that you have to do differently?

rooner86 said:
i'm a newbie, how do you break it down, and by that i mean, 1)when 2)what do you use for the 1 gallon stage and is there anything else that you have to do differently?

After the boil, instead of moving the cooled wort to one 5 gallon fermenter, you move it to five one-gallon glass jugs. And then you have to pitch yeast into all 5.

Back