48hr fermentation too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierstein

Reaction score
I recently brewed 10 gal of a 1.053 pale ale and was fortunate enough to get about 3/4 quart of yeast slurry from my local brewpub for fermentation. Obviously with that amount of yeast, fermentation started quickly and now 48 hours later it's completed. I think I recall that pitching too much yeast can be a problem so I'm wondering if anyone's encountered problems with a fast fermentation and if so, what should I be on the lookout for?

Were you able to take a hydro test yet? I would say that your brew may be close to being done fermenting in two days as long as you had quite a bit of yeast and some good temps. Know it's been around the lower 70s for a few days, so those kemps could have helped push it along faster.

Take a hydro reading just to make sure it's at or close to its terminal gravity. Even if it is done, I would still recommend that you leave it in the primary for at least 7-10 days after brewing just to make sure that the yeast have time to clean up some of the byproducts from the fermentation.

Noticed you're in Mentor too... grew up in Concord and am now out in Euclid. Are you getting your supplies locally? If you have time, go to Westlake and check out JW Dover. Probably the best LHBS in the area. Found that gem about a month ago and have already given them $500+...

The only problem is if it got too hot for the yeast. If you kept it cool, it will be fine. If it got too hot, there will be a strong alcohol taste from the fusel alcohols.

I pitch a half gallon for my Belgiansand let it get up to 80* F. It just depends on what you are looking for.

There might be apparent levels of fusels as david 42 said. There is a good chance you will end up with extremely noticable amounts of esters as well.

Thanks all. I did keep the ferm temp around 68-70 and I'm very certain fermentation is complete. I'll rack & do a hydro reading today. I also oxygenated the beer quite a bit, knowing I was adding that much yeast. I'll post the results when it's conditioned.

rsmith i usually go to Grape & Granary for my supplies. I buy malt in sacks and usually have a good inventory of adjuncts. The yeast I got from willoughby brewing. THey're pretty good about that.

Back