Another Oxydized Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenmeister

Reaction score
I was going to add a subtitle "is my beer ruined" to this thread, but we've all seen too may of those. So, here's my problem and question:
I brewed a Pilsner recently for my brothers wedding, and am fermenting it in my SS Brewtech 14 gal Chronicle. (I rarely use the Chronicle, as I have a Unitank, and use that for almost all my fermenting/etc needs, but the Unitank was already occupied.) When I cold crash the Pilsner, I forget volume shrinkage cause by the cold temps, and all the Starsan is sucked back into the fermenter. Fast forward a couple days, and of course there is nothing in my container that was holding the Starsan.
I am not overly worried about the Starsan getting into the beer, but as there was nothing in the container, that means that O2 was also sucked in. I will be kegging it in a couple days, and if it's bad I have plenty of time to make a new one for the Wedding in August.
Problem is, I have that beer entered into a competition that will be Mid-July. So, my question is, do you think the beer has been ruined such that I shouldn't enter it in the competition?

Are you 100% that the Star San was sucked all the way into the fv? Was there any at the top of the hose where it connects to the lid?

If it totally sucked it in all the way who knows how much o2 was sucked in . If you have time I'd brew another batch just to be on the safe side for the wedding . You may or may not need it . If it's oxidized are you and your brother okay with not having the beer for the wedding ? If your okay with it chance it .

As far as the comp , I'd wait until the last day to submit . Then you can decide to enter or not .

Even if you knew exactly how much O2 was sucked into the head space I doubt any of us could definitively say whether it'll be bad, good 'nuff or great beer.

Just go with the flow and figure out what it tastes like when it's closer to the time you need the beer. And maybe also proceed with plan B and C just in case.

Back