4 weeks - still bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimlohk

Reaction score
So...
I recently made 10 gallons of a stout, and I put it into two carboys on January 16th.
After about 7 days, I secondaried both of them.
One of them appeared ready to bottle a week or so ago, but the other one is still bubbling. Theres only a couple square inches of surface area, but the bubbles are still half an inch thick or so.
One was pitched with white labs yeast, the other with re-hydrated beer yeast (friend supplied it).
I guess my question is:
Why would the beer still be fermenting? I can see bubbles coming up the side of the carboy still.

Im worried that it may have gotten contaminated and that the longer I let it sit there waiting for it to stop, the more they are going to sour my beer :mad:
Anyone got any advice?

What does your hydrometer tell you? That's probably your best bet!

Which one is which though, white labs and friend supplied?

the bubbles...they mean nothing!

hydrometer is the ONLY way to know a beer is done. you may have racked earlier on both, and this one is just pissed off enough to show you.

Could it just be CO2 in solution? If indeed you racked one early, it coulda produced more in secondary, while the other woulda been CO2-free (almost) from the racking.

Latest posts

Back