33 lb Growler of Malt - QUESTION?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorro

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals... I've got a question.

I recently bought 2, 33lb growlers of liquid malt. I didn't buy from this place, but this is what each growler looks like:

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,12069.html

Here's the deal, I don't want to use all the malt at once if I don't have to. So, after opening these bad boys, do I need to put these in the fridge? (the wifey wouldn't be happy with that) Or will they be ok at room temp? Do I need to separate it into maybe 1 gallon increments?

Anybody have any experience with these? I'm dying to do some brewing, but if I need to use it all up, I'll have to wait because my other carboys are currently claimed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:mug:

Wow. That's a good price. Interested in how well it stores- it would take me 2 months to use one, probably.

Refrigerate or they will start growing mold really fast. You can also put a thin layer of Vodka on the remaining malt to help preserve it.

What about canning the stuff? I could easily get a box of quart mason jars and fill them with malt.

I've got a pressure cooker, but I'm not sure the malt would fare well at 212+ degrees F.

Sound good?!?

What about canning the stuff? I could easily get a box of quart mason jars and fill them with malt.

I've got a pressure cooker, but I'm not sure the malt would fare well at 212+ degrees F.

Sound good?!?

Actually putting them into the mason jars does sound. Then store them in the fridge. Just don't can them. That extract has already been heat abused enough, besides you don't really need it if you keep it in the fridge.

What about putting a layer of cheap vodka on top of the remaining LME in the growler and then putting the whole thing in the freezer. My neighbor does this, of course he has a huge chest freezer and we usually use up a 33# Growler in less than 2-3 months. So we don't see any kind of freezer burn since we use it up so fast.
The only disadvantage we seem to have is that we have to remove it from the freezer 24 hours prior to brewing so that the LME thaws out enough to pour it out.
Just my two cents
Redbeard5289

What about putting a layer of cheap vodka on top of the remaining LME in the growler and then putting the whole thing in the freezer. My neighbor does this, of course he has a huge chest freezer and we usually use up a 33# Growler in less than 2-3 months. So we don't see any kind of freezer burn since we use it up so fast.
The only disadvantage we seem to have is that we have to remove it from the freezer 24 hours prior to brewing so that the LME thaws out enough to pour it out.
Just my two cents
Redbeard5289

That's the best idea I've heard! I went and bought some vodka and will be brewing soon. Thanks a lot Redbeard! God Bless. :mug:

I used similar from Northern Brewer. I took no precautions in storage, just put it in the basement. Just brew every weekend and you'll have no problems using it before the mold gets to it.

Gee honey, I'd love to go see your mother, but I have to use up some malt. :D

Latest posts

Back