2 Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
Now that my first batch is complete...I want to make an even better batch next time around. My first question is, using corn sugar vs. regular table sugar? I've heard people say corn sugar is better, but why? Secondly, what is more important....leaving your brew in the keg longer to ferment or leaving it in the bottles longer to carbonate? Thanks.

You asked some questions that require questions before answers. First, I'm assuming you mean sugar for bottle conditioning? Corn sugar is the standard for bottling, but both cane sugar and corn sugar are 100% fermentable. Ounce for ounce, cane sugar gives you a little bit more CO2 production than corn sugar. Both should leave no taste. Secondly, are you using a keg as your primary fermenter? If so, more time in the fermenter is usually better. And there are no shortcuts to naturally carbonating in the bottle, you just have to wait it out.

no exp ever kegging but as for corn vs table sugar its the processed crap in table sugar that gives corn sugar the upper hand in gud beer

no exp ever kegging but as for corn vs table sugar its the processed crap in table sugar that gives corn sugar the upper hand in gud beer

Sorry dude...that's not correct.

Table Sugar = Sucrose = Disaccharide
Corn Sugar = Dextrose = Monosaccharide

In theory corn sugar is easier for yeast to consume. Flavor wise, there is little difference between the two. There really isn't any 'processed crap' in table sugar.

Now that my first batch is complete...I want to make an even better batch next time around. My first question is, using corn sugar vs. regular table sugar? I've heard people say corn sugar is better, but why? Secondly, what is more important....leaving your brew in the keg longer to ferment or leaving it in the bottles longer to carbonate? Thanks.

Do you mean condition in the keg, or are you actually using one to ferment?

Once the beer has finished fermentation, I usually give it a week or two to condition, then keg/bottle. Obviously, you can get co2 into solution faster kegging, but that doesn't help speed the conditioning. Most typical ales (APA, IPA, brown, amber, etc...) hit their stride a couple weeks after packaging (even in the keg)

If there is any difference between using corn sugar and table sugar to carbonate, I can't taste it. Purists use dry malt extract to prime and say their beer is superior, but I wonder. I usually brew strong tasting beers, so I'm a little biased.

I agree, question number 2 needs more background, but you want to rack beer off primary crap soon. Ageing in secondary or bottles is beneficial; homebrew lore usually has you aging the beer for 2 months prior to drinking, which is plenty of time to carbonate.

Back