2 most important things you learned/wish you knew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Similar to mise en place in cooking, I find my brew day goes much better if I get all my equipment, ingredients, and tools set out and organized before I ever light a burner. After a few times of running around like a chicken w/out a head you learn to get organized first.

2) I learned to continuously stir my wort while I'm waiting for it kick over to boil because it makes boil overs much less likely. When you have an 8 gallon kettle and 6 1/2 gallons of wort, it's too easy to boil over and have a huge mess to clean up.

Unless you are dry hopping.

I dry hop in the primary.
I add the hops, set up a cooler with ice water (takes a day), then put the bucket in ice water to cold crash.
The cold crash time = around 2 days, the dry hop time, around 3 days.

Don't soak plastic stuff in StarSan overnight!

Wait is that for real? Don't people store starsan in plastic spray bottles for months at a time? And don't a lot of people store it in plastic buckets in between use?

I'm being serious about this question too, in case you're wondering if it's just sarcastic questions. I really don't know, and I store my starsan in a plastic tub. So just wanna know why it's wrong before I stop doing it!

Wait is that for real? Don't people store starsan in plastic spray bottles for months at a time? And don't a lot of people store it in plastic buckets in between use?

I'm being serious about this question too, in case you're wondering if it's just sarcastic questions. I really don't know, and I store my starsan in a plastic tub. So just wanna know why it's wrong before I stop doing it!

Think about this. What kind of container does Starsan come in?

I was thinking the same thing...

I learned a lot in my first year, even more in my second year.

1. Cleaning & sanitizing (these are different steps)

2. Like stated before, fermentation temp control. There are other ways to achieve this. My 'go-to' method, before a chest freezer and STC-1000+, was setting my buckets in a water bath and cycling frozen water bottles in and out. I shot to keep the water bath temp about 5° below target ferm temp for the first 3-4 days or until the blowoff slowed down, then shot to keep it at the target temp.

Also, YouTube is a great resource for visual aids when you're struggling to understand a process. As well, learning proper terminology will help you to quickly zero in what you're looking for.

Think about this. What kind of container does Starsan come in?
What he means is, don't store vinyl tubing in starsan, PBW, cleaners, etc. It will not be actually damaged, but some of the chemicals can leave a ugly whitish residue that doesn't look nice on clear tubing.

Starsan comes in HDPE. HDPE and PET plastics don't have this issue.
Knowing the uses and limitations of the common plastics is actually quite important for a modern home brewer: http://www.brewgeeks.com/homebrewers-guide-to-plastics.html

1. Bottling in 1 liter plastic bottles with screw tops makes bottling day so much easier.
2. A chest freezer with temp control is easier that swapping out frozen bottles.

What he means is, don't store vinyl tubing in starsan, PBW, cleaners, etc. It will not be actually damaged, but some of the chemicals can leave a ugly whitish residue that doesn't look nice on clear tubing.

Starsan comes in HDPE. HDPE and PET plastics don't have this issue.
Knowing the uses and limitations of the common plastics is actually quite important for a modern home brewer: http://www.brewgeeks.com/homebrewers-guide-to-plastics.html

Ok, gotcha. But other than not looking so "new" anymore, it's not gonna make it start leaching chemicals or anything will it?

1. Based on limited information, latch on to a particular brewing process/technique and equipment and forever-after relentlessly insist that your method is the best and only correct method for making beer.
2. Apply the philosophy of item 1 to all other aspects of life, such as politics or religion.

I'm sorry. What was the question again?

I guess I can take a crack at this thing...

1) Treat your yeast with care, and it will ferment superb beer for you. That means temperature control, a healthy yeast starter, and well aerated/oxygenated wort prior to pitching. It seems like newbies gravitate towards malt and hop selection without giving their yeast requirements a second's thought. IME, yeast selection and conditions dictate 90% of the end product. Be nice to your yeasties.

2) Time heals (almost) all wounds. In time, yeasts attenuate, off flavors dissipate, and appearances improve dramatically. It's only human nature to anticipate results, but in most cases, time is on your side. Most beer styles benefit from extended fermentation / conditioning periods, and the difference in taste between them can be tremendous. This, I think, is the genesis of Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew!

"Clean" and "sanitary" are not the same thing.

Start simple and go from there; +1 on the SMaSH Ale post. Also, get to know your beer all along the process by smelling & tasting. Check the propane bottle BEFORE brewday.

Temp controlled chest freezer, time, patience and not brewing with a proper positive attitude.

KT

Ok, gotcha. But other than not looking so "new" anymore, it's not gonna make it start leaching chemicals or anything will it?

First, thanks for clearing it up Andrew. I obviously should have been more specific about vinyl vs. plastic. I soaked vinyl tuning overnight once. The next day it was cloudy and very sticky to the touch. Against all good judgement, I proceeded to use it to rack 5 gallons to keg. The beer later had a distinctive plastic taste. Ruined. I think the StarSan literally started to break down the vinyl. I was unable to remove the stickiness on the outside of the tubing, let alone the inside. I tossed it. Whether or not harmful material was making its way into the beer, I don't know. Something was though, and it tasted awful.

First, thanks for clearing it up Andrew. I obviously should have been more specific about vinyl vs. plastic. I soaked vinyl tuning overnight once. The next day it was cloudy and very sticky to the touch. Against all good judgement, I proceeded to use it to rack 5 gallons to keg. The beer later had a distinctive plastic taste. Ruined. I think the StarSan literally started to break down the vinyl. I was unable to remove the stickiness on the outside of the tubing, let alone the inside. I tossed it. Whether or not harmful material was making its way into the beer, I don't know. Something was though, and it tasted awful.

Damn! Ok, won't be doing that then.

Back