1st Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edie

Reaction score
all righty then! turned out pretty good. just used a kit, wheat, of course thought we'd done all sorts of things wrong. we may have but it turned out tasty. :ban:

all ready have a second kit going, bottled on sunday. my question, how long will all this beer keep? should i refrigerate all of it or better off leaving some out to chill later?

thanks for your input.

you can leave homebrew out of the fridge and it will generally be good for about 6 months (thats what the books say, i've had beer thats been conditioned for WAY longer and it's been fine).

Throw some in the fridge that you will be drinking after it is bottle conditioned and the rest should be fine in a nice dark corner of the house to have time to think about its fate.

Generally it takes three weeks at room temperature to properly carbonate. After that, throw a sixer in the fridge and chill it for a day before drinking. But leave the rest on the shelf, it will keep for months.

I don't really know the "outer limit" for how long homebrew will keep, I've never put it to the test that way.

I've had 5 year old homebrew that was good. Papazian stated somewhere that he kept a beer for 20 years and it was good. It's all about how well your brewing, sanitizing, and bottling methods are.

-Dustin Hickey

I made a pale ale about 9 months ago, most of them have never been refrigerated. The first couple bottles I had after the first month or two were weak bodied, no head, bland tasting. Now though they are really good, Excellent head retention, very flavorful, and only slightly over carbonated.

I've got a Holiday Brew sitting in primary that says for the best taste and to allow the flavors to blend and mellow to let it condition in the bottles for 4-6 months before drinking so I'd imagine most beers can sit that long. They say the longer the better but I always seem to polish them off long before 6 months! :cross:

Latest posts

Back