1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have about 10 extract brews under my belt, and decieded to build a 2 gallon MLT. I did a 5 gal PM last week with it(its currenty fermenting) and everything seemed to go pretty good.
Assuming that my PM will be my best beer ever, i thought I would next move on to AG(2.5 gal, batch due to my stovetop). I thought I would go with a basic dry stout as follows:
3.75 # Pale Malt
0.6 # Roasted Barley
0.7oz Challenger hops(60 min)

I used Beersmith but I don't know what to set the biol volume as.
Thanks for the help.

Hey everyone,
I have about 10 extract brews under my belt, and decieded to build a 2 gallon MLT. I did a 5 gal PM last week with it(its currenty fermenting) and everything seemed to go pretty good.
Assuming that my PM will be my best beer ever, i thought I would next move on to AG(2.5 gal, batch due to my stovetop). I thought I would go with a basic dry stout as follows:
3.75 # Pale Malt
0.6 # Roasted Barley
0.7oz Challenger hops(60 min)

I used Beersmith but I don't know what to set the biol volume as.
Thanks for the help.

If your batch size is 2.5 gallons, I'd do the boil volume as 3.5 gallons. Can you do a 3.5 gallon boil?

Yeah, 3.5 gal boil isn't a problem, anything greater than that im going to have some issues, My boil pot is 5 gal. I've never claimed to be a very good with math, how do you calculate the pre boil volume?
Thanks

Beer smith will do it for you. Assuming you edit the parameters on some equipment and figure in 15% evap loss from the boil. ANd maybe .25 trub loss on your 2.5 gal batch

Back