12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sour is already kicking off some lovely aromas, I'm pretty sure my house culture would eat wallboard at this point.
Damn you're on top of things! I want to brew for mine really bad haha, but gotta wait a little while. Kind of wish there was a summer share or something haha! Just to have something else like this to brew for.

If you think it will eat wall board maybe you should join the True Beer movement here. I think its running out of steam so maybe you can fire them back up with some new and inspiring yeast.

Edit: Just found out, sadly, that the thread was locked...no more wallboard brewing discussions allowed.

Damn you're on top of things! I want to brew for mine really bad haha, but gotta wait a little while. Kind of wish there was a summer share or something haha! Just to have something else like this to brew for.
I picked the lambic since I'm lazy, I don't have a thing to do until it's time to add my oak and fruit now. The quart of "bug jug" is doing all the heavy lifting.

If you think it will eat wall board maybe you should join the True Beer movement here. I think its running out of steam so maybe you can fire them back up with some new and inspiring yeast.

Edit: Just found out, sadly, that the thread was locked...no more wallboard brewing discussions allowed.
That is an epic thread...

I picked the lambic since I'm lazy, I don't have a thing to do until it's time to add my oak and fruit now. The quart of "bug jug" is doing all the heavy lifting.

That's cool. I'm actually brewing my first ever sour here in about a week or so. After 6 years of brewing I've finally decided to dive in head first. Doing a Flanders Red. Can't wait to drink it in...March 2019. RIP!!

That's cool. I'm actually brewing my first ever sour here in about a week or so. After 6 years of brewing I've finally decided to dive in head first. Doing a Flanders Red. Can't wait to drink it in...March 2019. RIP!!
Flanders red is one of my absolute favorite beer styles, yet with all of the sour and Brett beers I've done, I have no idea why I have never brewed one. I really should get on that.

Flanders red is one of my absolute favorite beer styles, yet with all of the sour and Brett beers I've done, I have no idea why I have never brewed one. I really should get on that.

Going with the 2014 NHC gold medal recipe, sounds simple enough. Just subbing in the Roselare wyeast blend instead of the one listed.

Going with the 2014 NHC gold medal recipe, sounds simple enough. Just subbing in the Roselare wyeast blend instead of the one listed.
That's the one that I had planned to do as well. Even bought Roselare blend for it this spring but ended up trying my luck at a Spanish style sidra instead. I have been trying to talk my dad into doing a big sour project like a Flanders but no luck on that yet lol

Very cool, I love Flanders red, I got my first sour fermenting away. Looking forward to it next year about this time. It’s a blueberry sour.
2j4ey5y.jpg

Wow that's super purdy. Do the blueberries stay in there the entire time? I'm new to sour brewing.

I’m new too, I added them after a month, but have read that I should’ve waited longer. I’ll keep them in there for at least 6 months. Then transfer to bottles for another 6 months. See how it goes.

I’m new too, I added them after a month, but have read that I should’ve waited longer. I’ll keep them in there for at least 6 months. Then transfer to bottles for another 6 months. See how it goes.

Sounds yummy! We'll definitely have to trade some bottles once mine is ready in early 2019! haha

Hi All,

While this is my first post, I have been a 'lurking' member since 2014 and recently became a supporting member. I'd love to get involved with the 2nd group of brewers... specifically, I'd like to brew the honey ginger IPA.

(Or, if Zimm9 listens to Jerbrew and wants to do the IPA, I wouldn't mind doing the Gingerbread Ale)

Hi All,

While this is my first post, I have been a 'lurking' member since 2014 and recently became a supporting member. I'd love to get involved with the 2nd group of brewers... specifically, I'd like to brew the honey ginger IPA.

(Or, if Zimm9 listens to Jerbrew and wants to do the IPA, I wouldn't mind doing the Gingerbread Ale)
Wilkommen!

I vote you go for it. I don't feel I'm quite ready but there is a year before shipment. For an IPA, you can wait to brew until like September/October.

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I could handle the Abbey Weizen. You're right that there's plenty of time to improve my process before next Christmas. Maybe I can pull it off without disappointing everyone else in the group!

@Brewfessor the IPA is yours. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I could handle the Abbey Weizen. You're right that there's plenty of time to improve my process before next Christmas. Maybe I can pull it off without disappointing everyone else in the group!

@Brewfessor the IPA is yours. :)

The only beers that truly disappoint me are the ones I don't get to drink. I think you'll probably do better than you think.

This sour is already kicking off some lovely aromas, I'm pretty sure my house culture would eat wallboard at this point.

Very cool, I love Flanders red, I got my first sour fermenting away. Looking forward to it next year about this time. It’s a blueberry sour.
2j4ey5y.jpg

Well that looks purdy. I have a pack of Roselare from last January, a bit old eeek, got it on the cheap when one of the HB shops closed. I think you all have given me the push I need to get that puppy into some beer. I also have my original PET carboy I stopped using a few years ago but saved for sours. 2018 will be the year I delve into the wonderful tart world of beer I think. My plan was to start a solera with my 5 gallon carboy. Pulling off a gallon every month after the first six months for fruiting, oaking, spicing, or whatever else I can think of.

I'll take the juniper bock for the second list. I'm looking forward to this. By the way I'm in S. Riverside County CA, and San Diego is definitely doable for the get together and ship party :mug:

I'll take the juniper bock for the second list. I'm looking forward to this. By the way I'm in S. Riverside County CA, and San Diego is definitely doable for the get together and ship party :mug:

I was looking at the recipe for this and it calls for all Munich as the base malt. I have never done a decoction step mash. What does the Munich add that Cal Select or MO can't?

I went 2:1:1 Munich:Rye:'Pilsner a little carafa III for color. The Munich has a deep malty character used at 50% that you're not going to get with MO. I would say for the most part its more rich, a bit sweeter, and really drives the malt forward as apposed to just making it interesting.

I didn't do a decoction, have before and will someday but not for this, but a single decoction wouldn't be too difficult to manage. I do recommend the Bock Lager Yeast WLP833 for this beer though. I had a great experience using it.

You are indeed pretty close to San Diego/LA so its looking pretty good that we can set something up with at least 4 of next year. I hope that works out, it would be a great time.

I went 2:1:1 Munich:Rye:'Pilsner a little carafa III for color. The Munich has a deep malty character used at 50% that you're not going to get with MO. I would say for the most part its more rich, a bit sweeter, and really drives the malt forward as apposed to just making it interesting.

I didn't do a decoction, have before and will someday but not for this, but a single decoction wouldn't be too difficult to manage. I do recommend the Bock Lager Yeast WLP833 for this beer though. I had a great experience using it.

You are indeed pretty close to San Diego/LA so its looking pretty good that we can set something up with at least 4 of next year. I hope that works out, it would be a great time.

So there is no need to do a protein rest or anything with Munich as the base malt?

I have never used the WLP833, but my LHBS doesn't always have the greatest selection of yeast, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere. Heck I have always wanted to go down to WL and try a flight. They do sell their yeast there don't they?

No doubt that would be a fun gathering, and I'm sure some great beers would be had. :D

Back