109 degrees outside... about to brew a 10 gallons batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold weather sucks. I can deal with it down to about 50, but below that no thanks. And no thanks to the depressing gray skys that hover over much of the north for the dreary months of winter.

It does get hot here in FL, and if you're fat it's probably miserable, but if you have a pool or are acclimated it's no biggie. I brew year round, no problem at all. In the summer I brew before the sun comes up and it's quite pleasant.

When it gets really cold, like sub-0 and the wind is blowing heavy snow, ya know what I like to do? Climb 20ft up in a tree and sit there not moving like a stone for hours on end. I've stayed all day, even when it became a test of how much punishment I could take before I went hypothermic. When you think your getting close, you need to start counting, when you start not knowing the next number, it's time to climb down. Deer hunting in the Midwest, I don't know why I need to do it, but I do.

It's kinda steamy today and who's in the garage sparging some grains right now? This guy! :ban:

I've been to Arizona, and yes it damn sure gets hot there, but I found the lack of humidity to make it not nearly as bad. Here in Arkansas, when it hits 103 and the humidity is 90%, it's MISERABLE, plain and simple.

I also am going to battle the heat to brew this evening, I'll put a bug zapper up and I have a lid for my brew pot I can use when cooling wort.

The view from Hobbit House Brewery.

26AE0AD4-A837-4519-B383-966671CD457A-701-0000011D4C664E64_zps002893dd.jpg

Battled 10 gallons of Irish Red yesterday and last night in the heat. Done. Started a Bitter before going to bed and woke up this morning and drained and sparged. Getting a boil going on that one and jumping right into and amber after that.

HEAT HEAT HEAT! I LOVE IT!(except that cooling the wort part?!) UGH!

Battled 10 gallons of Irish Red yesterday and last night in the heat. Done. Started a Bitter before going to bed and woke up this morning and drained and sparged. Getting a boil going on that one and jumping right into and amber after that.

HEAT HEAT HEAT! I LOVE IT!(except that cooling the wort part?!) UGH!

You went to bed with your wort still boiling. Am I missing something?

Yup! Mashed over night. Sorry if it looked like boil over night.

That one is in the ferment chamber right now and the third of the weekend is getting up to a boil right now.

CHEERS!

Back