107% Mash Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
At least thats what beer alchemy states for my brew today. I am still in the boil so hopefully some more gravity readings will clear this up.

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US White Wheat Malt 5.50 lb 52.4 % 2.6 In Mash/Steeped
US 2-Row Malt 2.50 lb 23.8 % 0.9 In Mash/Steeped
US Pilsen Malt 2.50 lb 23.8 % 0.5 In Mash/Steeped

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.08 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.02 US gals
Target Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG
Actual Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.070 SG
Target OG: 1.056 SG
Actual OG: -No Record-
Target FG: 1.013 SG
Actual FG: -No Record-
Target Apparent Attenuation:: 76.0 %
Actual Apparent Attenuation: 0.0 %
Target Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Actual Mash Efficiency: 107.8 %
Target Fermentation Temp: 65 degF Actual Fermentation Temp: 65 degF

This reading is from the first runnings out of the mash tun.

I have not tested the calibration of the hydrometer.

Volumes
Mash 2.52 US gals of water
Batch Sparge
Add 1.78 US gals of water at 153 degF, mix and run off.

Add a further 3.04 US gals of water at 153 degF and mix.

Run off to collect a total of 6.08 US gals of wort.

Well, the first runnings SHOULD be high. But they aren't the final runnings. In order to figure efficiency, you need to take the OG after all the runnings are mixed together.

If your first runnings are two gallons, for example, you can't say that your entire 5.5 gallon batch has the same gravity. It's not possible.

Your preboil gravity should be taken of the wort that is in the boil kettle. That's your "preboil gravity".

Well, the first runnings SHOULD be high. But they aren't the final runnings. In order to figure efficiency, you need to take the OG after all the runnings are mixed together.

If your first runnings are two gallons, for example, you can't say that your entire 5.5 gallon batch has the same gravity. It's not possible.

Thanks for the clarification. I have never measured the gravity of any of my brews.

I'm wrong about that. First runnings could be higher, but that's not really the point. You will add the sparge anyway (unless your not sparging.) Once you have the boil volume in the pot the gravity is set. It's SG x Volume. Boil off volume will only be a gain in SG.

Back