100% Brett brew – building the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suitbrewing

Reaction score
Greetings to all

I will be making my first 100% Brett beer in a few days and I am in the process of building up a strong starter. I will be using the WLP645 brett (Clausseniis)

I used the brwersfriend calculation with the following assumptions:
- Pitch rate 1.5 (lager rate)
- Vials of liquid yeast - 0.03 (to adjust for the reduced cell count of the WLP645 vial)

I completed everything else as normal.

Per the calculator I should be doing a two step starter of 1,5L per step.
The plan is as follows

- Step 1: 5 days on the stir plate – 2 days cold crush
- Step 2: 5 days on the stir plate – 2 days cold crush
- Pitch on day 14 :rockin:

The plan at the end of step 1 is to decant as much of the spend wort and to let the starter warm up to room temperature before adding the fresh 1,5L of room temperature fresh wort for step 2.
Room temperature is 21c.

I have seen people preparing the step2 wort ahead of stepping up date and keeping it in the fridge together with the starter. On stepping up day they decant the starter and add the fresh wort at fridge temp letting both to raise to room temperature together.

Does it matter whether the stepping up happens after the liquids have warmed up to room temp or while the liquids are at fridge temp??:confused:

Any other feedback either on my process or maths is more than welcome.

I would keep the temperature slightly over 80 degrees for at least a week before stepping up.
The more time you spend over 80 degrees the better.
Some yeast nutrient would be a good addition as well.

Back