10 year old wine kits- usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebeulah

Reaction score
I ran across a possible screaming deal on craigslist that is for 10 glass carboys and 9 box wine kits. The only thing is that the kits are 10 years old!!!!! I wonder if the 'juice' is any good?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

They might not be spoiled, but they wouldn't be "good". The condensed must would darken and oxidize a bit even in the packaging.

You could definitely try one, but I would consider it junk and only take one of them, if he was giving them away, otherwise you'll have to pay for the trash pick up.

If the kits cost extra let them go and get the carboys, if they are part of the deal make some of them and call it sherry, throw out all the chemicals, keep the oak depending on how it smells, get fresh yeast, sorbate, KM. Your deal is on the carboys, the kits would almost have to be free to be worth fooling with. If in any way the cardboard shows any signs of mold or water damage just leave them there. WVMJ

Sorry to butt in WVMJ, but your post begs a question. You say to throw out the chemicals? Not that my pack of sorbate or meta will be around for ten years but is there a shelf life on these things? None of my packaging ever listed a best before date. Thanks.

Sorbate will last forever if stored dry. Metabisulphite has to be sealed and dry but if it is then it will last forever too. Tannins in the syrup may oxidise and become bitter or less soluble with age. Some volatile flavour components could change, like they change in an ageing wine. Volatile flavour components could be lost by evaporation, too, if the syrup is not airtight. With the syrup... taste it and see.

They all have a shelf life, the sorbate is typically suggested to be replaced every year along with the sulfites. Enzymes and nutrients can degrade over time, absorb moisture and loose some effectivness. Things like sparkaloid and bentonite last forever. Sodium hydroxide for testing TA needs replaced yearly if not sooner depending on how often you open it. Using old chems is a good way to spoil your wine and not a good place to cut corners. We replace ours as above, using only last years KM in sanatizing rinses at a high dose measured by how many nose hairs get burned out. WVMJ

Sorry to butt in WVMJ, but your post begs a question. You say to throw out the chemicals? Not that my pack of sorbate or meta will be around for ten years but is there a shelf life on these things? None of my packaging ever listed a best before date. Thanks.

Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid. It is stable if stored dry, otherwise microorganisms might colonise it. Sodium metabisulphite is a stable compound when stored dry in an airtight container. These chemicals are no more likely to spontaneously break down than are sugar or salt.

Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid. It is stable if stored dry, otherwise microorganisms might colonise it. Sodium metabisulphite is a stable compound when stored dry in an airtight container. These chemicals are no more likely to spontaneously break down than are sugar or salt.

That's interesting, as it's considered common knowledge that potassium metabisulfite (I won't buy the sodium metabisulfite) degrades with time, and is less effective after a bit of aging to not effective with extended aging.

I've never seen actual proof of efficacy or lack of, though.

My understanding is that they will definitely lose effectiveness, just as medicines and other items will especially when exposed to oxygen.

If it is not sealed then metabisulphite will lose sulphur dioxide to the atmosphere and so will gradually lose strength. What remains is a mixture of sulphite (which is still an SO2 sterilant, just not as strong) and metabisulphite. If it is sealed up in a glass or plastic jar then it will be fine. If you have any doubts then carefully sniff it, and if you smell sulphur dioxide then it is good.

Generally, things with shelf lives are mixed formulations. Pure chemicals used in brewing that have unlimited shelf life (unless contaminated) include cream of tarter, tartaric acid, malic acid, citric acid, magnesium sulphate, diammonium phosphate monoammonium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, and others that have been mentioned.

Latest posts

Back