'08 Old Crustacean, how's it doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebs

Reaction score
Been sitting on this guy for a while and just wondering how it's doing. I know a lot people prefer this beer with a ton of age on it. Not sure if I should pop this open or sit on it another 5 years. FWIW it's the old ceramic swing top bottle.

how-you-doing-o.gif

Still too fresh.

Even the '05 (first year in the ceramics) still tastes young.

Hang onto it for another 10 years or so.
Yeah I have a bunch of the 7oz bottles that are from 2010. Popped one a few months ago and it tasted like straight hop pellets.

Anyone have '95-'99 recently? I'm looking to open some of those soon. Curious how 20 yr old barleywine in 6.3 oz nips holds up.

Anyone have '95-'99 recently? I'm looking to open some of those soon. Curious how 20 yr old barleywine in 6.3 oz nips holds up.
Had a '97-'02 vertical late last year. They all had a sort of salt water/mineral thing going on with loads of oxidation and faded barleywine flavors. Drinkable but I'd say wayyyy past their prime. These came from Bottleworks too. I'd say 10 years is probably as old as I'd want to go on them.

My review of a 1997 http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rogue-old-crustacean-barleywine/594/119473/

Last edited:
I drank an '02 12oz not that long ago and found it strangely sweet and malty smelling but face rape bitter and boozy. Only subtle oxidation starting to creep in.

Anyone want some nips from '93?

No...was thinking more along the lines of a Joel-style silent auction where I have an expectation of receiving no less than 3 fuzzy baby duck duck goose islands.
You take empty oxycodone bottles filled with fuzzy? That's what I've got in trade.

Besides my sister.

To answer the OP's original question I would say "not well" since this beer is Old Crustacean. Me no likey.

Funny you ask. We drank 93 or something and a 00 about a month ago. The 00 was barely clinging to life. The 93 was just hilarious. Some guy threw like 6 of the super old mini bottles in for extras. McRogue, 2 Old Crusty's, A Rogue Smoke, and 2 Russian Imperial Stouts. So far we're 0/5 I'm sure the Rogue Smoke is gonna be awesome.

All 6 bottles were '00 and older

Back