☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea he was def a coffe geek... that piece on how we use the word mocha to reference chocolate incorrectly i found partuculary interesting... also the info on the trees and the coffe fruit was pretty interesting

Yeah, Joe was repeatedly aghast at how few beans (seeds) came from a coffee tree in one year. All the history stories were interesting.

Been roasting about a pound a week in my Behmor. Really enjoy it. Just ordered another 10 pounds from Sweet Maria's.

r100_9712.jpg

I'm a drip guy. Haven't pursued espresso- which the Behmor isn't fantastic at anyway (for one-pound batches).

If you're going to go through all the trouble to roast coffee for drip, treat yourself to a coffee maker that can deliver water at 200F. Compared to something like a Mr. Coffee, you will be amazed at the difference. There is absolutely no comparison and it will have the single biggest impact on your [drip] coffee's flavor.

I went with a Bonavita BV1800TH, but there are other good ones- Technivorm, Bunn, etc. The water temp is key.

I've read that good grinders will make a huge impact on flavor too, but I think where I read that was in the context of espresso, not drip. But it's still a journey for me and I'll probably move to a decent grinder soon.

Not to tune people out or away from this thread or forum, but a lot of neat stuff is over on:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums

Interesting that you mention 200°. I just recently started using an aeropress, and the recommend 175.

Plan to roast my first coffee this week - Sweet Maria's sampler.

Interesting that you mention 200°. I just recently started using an aeropress, and the recommend 175.

Plan to roast my first coffee this week - Sweet Maria's sampler.

I've heard of the Aeropress but haven't used one. All I can report is my experience with the massive change-up in flavor, mouthfeel, aroma, and extra caffeine extraction - all positives to me, and directly related to the higher temperature.

Cool that you're getting into roasting! Popper? Skillet? Roaster?

To anyone considering a Behmor or other roaster- consider what it's gonna save you. It will pay for itself in the longer term. I bought my roaster from Roastmasters and it came with an 8 pound sampler of green beans. That's about $50 right off the top, and if you roast a pound a week ... it adds up.

To anyone considering a Behmor or other roaster- consider what it's gonna save you. It will pay for itself in the longer term. I bought my roaster from Roastmasters and it came with an 8 pound sampler of green beans. That's about $50 right off the top, and if you roast a pound a week ... it adds up.

That's what I've been telling myself, haven't quite been able to pull the trigger yet though. The more I look the more I've sold myself on the Behmor, seems like the way to go unless you want to spend 3x the $$ on the Hot Top.

Even with the popcorn popper, overall I'm getting very good coffee every morning. What I lack in consistency I am making up for by always having coffee at peak freshness.

I'll probably be sticking with the air popper for a while longer. Thinking I'm going to mod mine with an Auber potentiometer controlled SSR for heating element control.

The first batches went fine with the Guatemala, but with Columbian beans I was having a hard time getting second crack so I bypassed the thermostat. Then, there was plenty of heat but second crack still wasn't as clear and distinct as it was with the Guatemala, seemed like was nothing happening, then bang all of a sudden it was more dark than I wanted. Sorta weird since I thought I had it down pretty good based on the first several roasts with the Guatemala.

I'll probably be sticking with the air popper for a while longer. Thinking I'm going to mod mine with an Auber potentiometer controlled SSR for heating element control.

The first batches went fine with the Guatemala, but with Columbian beans I was having a hard time getting second crack so I bypassed the thermostat. Then, there was plenty of heat but second crack still wasn't as clear and distinct as it was with the Guatemala, seemed like was nothing happening, then bang all of a sudden it was more dark than I wanted. Sorta weird since I thought I had it down pretty good based on the first several roasts with the Guatemala.

I had a similar, but opposite misfire with the coffee I'm drinking now. It's the last of the Guatemala that I have, and having just a bit too much for one batch, i split it into two batches that were smaller than what i've been doing. I expected it to roast fast being a smaller batch, but something odd must have been happening with my popper.

Several minutes in, I hadn't heard anything and I thought I must have somehow missed first crack (daydreaming or something) so I pulled the plug on the popper and started cooling. Looking at the beans while cooling, they were definitely not done. I put the beans back in, roasted a few more minutes, had a first crack and cooled. Then I roasted the second batch and it went in much less time the first, more of what I expected.

Good news, the coffee is drinking nicely this morning despite the misstep.

Like you, I've thought about modifying the popper. As soon as I start thinking of spending money though, I think I'd rather get something solid that I can learn roasting on rather than start a cycle of tinkering. You'll notice that I'm not so convinced that I've actually ordered the roaster though. :)

Like you, I've thought about modifying the popper. As soon as I start thinking of spending money though, I think I'd rather get something solid that I can learn roasting on rather than start a cycle of tinkering. You'll notice that I'm not so convinced that I've actually ordered the roaster though. :)

Yeah, I hear you. The SSR is like $25, a dedicated roaster is quite a bit more. If I drank a lot more coffee I think it would be a no-brainer choice but I don't drink all that much...though what I do drink I like to be good stuff. I think the air popper with a bit of tinkering will get me there. I mean, it mostly works as-is but as we've seen could stand a little tweaking.

I haven't yet tried the West Bend Poppery II I found for $3, still using the Air Crazy.

I've heard of the Aeropress but haven't used one. All I can report is my experience with the massive change-up in flavor, mouthfeel, aroma, and extra caffeine extraction - all positives to me, and directly related to the higher temperature.

Cool that you're getting into roasting! Popper? Skillet? Roaster?

Sorry.. Vendor onsite support all week.

Using an air popper to roast. I also have a stove top whirly pop, but starting off small... One cup at home during the week, three on the weekends.

Sigh. My air popper is the wrong type -bottom vent. Ruined a half cup of of green beans. Off to the thrift shop tomorrow.

I do have a stove top model... Has anyone had good luck small batching with those?

Sigh. My air popper is the wrong type -bottom vent. Ruined a half cup of of green beans. Off to the thrift shop tomorrow.

I do have a stove top model... Has anyone had good luck small batching with those?

Stove top model? If you look through this thread, you'll see I've made from 8 ounces to 2 pounds at a time in my Whirley Pop. I drink it every day and looove it.

Okay, for all you experienced roasters. When I ground and brewed theses beans, the coffee tasted stale. Any ideas? As it is my first roast, not sure what is going on. I believe I got it to just past first crack, so it would be City+. Pic is in previous post.

Okay, for all you experienced roasters. When I ground and brewed theses beans, the coffee tasted stale. Any ideas? As it is my first roast, not sure what is going on. I believe I got it to just past first crack, so it would be City+. Pic is in previous post.

Grind it really fine and maybe use more than normal amount of coffee. I haven't had any "stale" taste. But my first roast required more coffee than normal for a nice full-bodied cup.

Okay. will increase the amount tomorrow. I am already on an espresso grind. I also get a stale note in the nose as well.

I'm not getting that at all. Lot's of possibilities here.

I love my roast. I'll never go back to any other coffee. I just bought 10# Yirga Cheffe, might go for the motherload soon. Loving this.

You guys are letting it rest for a couple of days (or more) after roasting, yes?

Sorry to hear about the disaster!

I've noticed improvements up to a week after roasting. I think two weeks is the general rule for "consume by" for roasted beans but (I know it sounds counter-intuitive to the "fresh" argument), it does improve a lot given 2+ days resting.

Yeah. My Aeropress exploded on the counter.

The jar I am keeping the beans in had a good amount of co2, and smelled a bit better tonight. Here's hoping.

Yeah. My Aeropress exploded on the counter.

The jar I am keeping the beans in had a good amount of co2, and smelled a bit better tonight. Here's hoping.

I don't know about it being a stale taste, but I definitely noticed an odd taste when I made coffee with beans that had about 18 hours rest. I think you'll find it's much better tomorrow.

I don't know about it being a stale taste, but I definitely noticed an odd taste when I made coffee with beans that had about 18 hours rest. I think you'll find it's much better tomorrow.

Taste has improved a bit, but still has a 'stale' undercurrent'. Will roast again and try to go a bit longer.

It's best to let coffees rest 24-48 hours before drinking, the reason is because fresh roasted coffee degasses in that time frame. The whole time coffee is roasting it is letting out various gasses and that process continues for up to two days. That is why when you put fresh roasted coffee in a sealed bag, that bag will fill with air and plump up like a balloon. Flavors also continue to develop during the degassing period. I've found that if you brew coffee too early, it will be weak in flavor unless you increase the coffee-to-water ratio

I've found that if you brew coffee too early, it will be weak in flavor unless you increase the coffee-to-water ratio

I found this to be very true. My first roast I had to double the amount of coffee to get a pot. Now that I let the roasted beans sit a week, I'm back to normal amount of coffee per pot.

Hehe. Makes me think of the beginners brew kits that say bottle after 7 days.

I will keep notes on the flavor over the coming week. Thanks.

well damn, I roasted about 3# of Yirga Cheffe in my Whirley Popper, on the coals tonight. My Whirley decided to give up the ghost. The handle axle just spun in the plastic gear that turns the plastic gear that turns the spindle that stirs the coffee. Just damned.

So, I roasted anyway. I tossed the entire top of the assembly and stirred the bunch of coffee seeds with a steel spoon. Had to hold the pot with my silicone gloves, but it all was not a really big deal. Unfortunatley, I went too far with the roast and ended up between a French roast and charcoal. Yikes. I meant to roast a little longer, as an experiment, but went too long.

So you had the whirley pop with the plastic gears? I heard you should get the one with the metal gears, but they are quite a bit more money. I also considered just getting an old pot at Goodwill and using a wooden spoon. I suppose if I get the whirley pop I'll get the metal one, but now I'm curious about your pot & spoon experience.

So you had the whirley pop with the plastic gears? I heard you should get the one with the metal gears, but they are quite a bit more money. I also considered just getting an old pot at Goodwill and using a wooden spoon. I suppose if I get the whirley pop I'll get the metal one, but now I'm curious about your pot & spoon experience.

OK, the pot and spoon worked OK. I used a large metal spoon, about 3 ft long ( I used to stir my mash with it). But I roasted over hot coals, in my grill, and since I had to hold the pot I had to wear silicone gloves. The flames were licking up around the pot and the whole scene was pretty hairy. Worked out OK, but not great. I was doing about 2.5#, I wonder if the whirley pop would have turned over that quantity good enough to get an even roast.

I didn't do it on my stove because the glasstop can get scratched from all the pot movement. At least that is a concern of mine, not sure if it could really happen.

I'm going to replace the Whirley Pop, probably with the better one that you mentioned. It works very very well.

Been using a Bonavita 1800 coffee maker, which delivers water at 200F and makes all the difference in the world. I know they're expensive, but it's something I decided to treat myself to and I've never looked back.

Is an experiment, this morning I fired up the old Mr. Coffee and used the same beans I've been consuming all week.

Two words: Muted. Lifeless.

If you love your coffee and you think you're worth it and you can muster to save the pennies, I strongly recommend it (or a Bunn, or whatever- 200F water is the key).

Not convinced? Find someone that has a decent maker and give it a try with your beans and see what you think.

Been using a Bonavita 1800 coffee maker, which delivers water at 200F and makes all the difference in the world. I know they're expensive, but it's something I decided to treat myself to and I've never looked back.

Is an experiment, this morning I fired up the old Mr. Coffee and used the same beans I've been consuming all week.

Two words: Muted. Lifeless.

If you love your coffee and you think you're worth it and you can muster to save the pennies, I strongly recommend it (or a Bunn, or whatever- 200F water is the key).

Not convinced? Find someone that has a decent maker and give it a try with your beans and see what you think.

I agree, I use a chemex and pour 200° water over. It's a world of difference when you use the right temperature.

Latest posts

Back