What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made banana muffins again. Good use for old bananas. Used walnuts this time. I also sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on some of them (on far right in pic), by request from the queen.

_mg_0862-65972.jpg

Made some tasty Indian inspired lentil soup for the summer weather. Red lentils, carrots, fennel, tomatos, ginger, and scalions were joined by habanero, curry, cilantro, apple vinegar, saffron, and creme fraiche. Delicious, light, yet pretty deep and complex. Great with both my latest IPA and my green tea & citrus saison.

Lentil Soup.jpg

Made some tasty Indian inspired lentil soup for the summer weather. Red lentils, carrots, fennel, tomatos, ginger, and scalions were joined by habanero, curry, cilantro, apple vinegar, saffron, and creme fraiche. Delicious, light, yet pretty deep and complex. Great with both my latest IPA and my green tea & citrus saison.

That sounds awesome! :rockin:
Did you use a recipe or just wing it?
Regards, GF.

That sounds awesome! :rockin:
Did you use a recipe or just wing it?
Regards, GF.
Just winged it, as I usually do.

However, I do recall the basic process. Details are to be adjusted acording to the produce you have and your taste. This is for an almost 5L pot:
-bring veggy stock to boil (might have used 3L or so) with finely cut ginger, around a big walnuts worth (maybe more), and a finely chopped habanero (use to taste). Whatever gets you noticable but non sweaty heat, the kind. Also just enough to slow down your eating a bit, forcing you to enjoy the flavors.
-let flavors extract for minimum 5min.
-add carrots. I used around 5 medium sized ones cut in ca. 3mm halved slices
-add 400g red lentils, cooking time 10min
-with 5min left add a fennel, cut to spoon ready pieces, and probably around a tablespoon of dried cilantro to rehydrate
-at flameout (removed from heat) I added the apple vinegar to taste, around 2 solid splashes for me. Great with lentils for a bit of sweetness and acid cut.
-also added decent bowl full of tomatos, cut into 16th wedges, and 3 finely cut scalions.
-the idea with the veggys was to leave a little fresh bite on all of them.
-add around 2-3 heaped tablespoons of madras curry
-add around 40-50g butter cause there needs to be some fat in here I felt
-add the saffron last, around 5 I recon it was
-season with a good hit of black pepper, salt to taste, and all the other spices added until it seems right, balanced, and intense.
-serve with a teaspoon or so of creme fraiche. Makes it deliciously creamy. Also takes the edge off and absorbs some salt, so make sure the soup is well seasoned.

-stays delicious for days too, since the vinegar helps marry the flavors together over time. The acid and heat keeps it fresh too. The lentils will loose structure though, which I don´t mind that much.

Just winged it, as I usually do.

However, I do recall the basic process. Details are to be adjusted acording to the produce you have and your taste. This is for an almost 5L pot:
-bring veggy stock to boil (might have used 3L or so) with finely cut ginger, around a big walnuts worth (maybe more), and a finely chopped habanero (use to taste). Whatever get you noticable but non sweaty heat.
-let flavors extract for minimum 5min.
-add carrots. I used around 5 medium sized ones cut in ca. 3mm halved slices
-add red lentils, cooking time 10min
-with 5min left add a fennel, cut to spoon ready pieces, and probably around a tablespoon of dried cilantro to rehydrate
-at flameout (removed from heat) I added the apple vinegar to taste, around 2 solid splashes for me. Great with lentils for a bit of sweetness and acid cut.
-also added decent bowl full of tomatos, cut into 16th wedges, and 3 finely cut scalions.
-the idea with the veggys was to leave a little fresh bite on all of them.
-added around 2-3 heaped tablespoons of madras curry
-added the saffron last, around 5 I recon it was
-season with a good hit of black pepper, salt to taste, and all the other spices added until it seems right, balanced, and intense.
-serve with a teaspoon or so of creme fraiche. Makes it deliciously creamy. Also takes the edge off and absorbs some salt, so make sure the soup is well seasoned.

-stays delicious for days too, since the vinegar helps marry the flavors together over time. The acid and heat keeps it fresh too. The lentils will loose structure though, which I don´t mind that much.

Thanks Kiichi, I think I'll be making a version of this sometime this weekend.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Edited with the amount of lentils I used, 400g, and that I also added some butter with the spices cause it felt like there needed to be at least a little bit of fat in there to carry flavor and make it creamier.

Tomato pie.
I had never heard of tomato pie until a couple of years ago. Stumbled across it in a BBQ joint near Myrtle Beach, S.C., I think. Menu described it like it was a traditional Southern thing. I was born and raised in North Carolina...one of the "BBQ States of America". I used to cook in restaurants. Never heard of it. Of course, I had to try it...and it was delicious. Never seen it since.

I had never heard of tomato pie until a couple of years ago. Stumbled across it in a BBQ joint near Myrtle Beach, S.C., I think. Menu described it like it was a traditional Southern thing. I was born and raised in North Carolina...one of the "BBQ States of America". I used to cook in restaurants. Never heard of it. Of course, I had to try it...and it was delicious. Never seen it since.

Oohhhh you should try it. Omg it was so good

Anyone have a go-to recipe using chicken breast?
I've been buying them on sale for a while and sticking them in the freezer but it turns out I've accumulated a ton of it. Just trying to use them up.
So far I have chicken stuffed with feta and spinach, and fajitas.

Go. :mug:

I've been buying them on sale for a while and sticking them in the freezer but it turns out I've accumulated a ton of it. Just trying to use them up.

Crockpot with BBQ sauce = pulled chicken

Crockpot with a jar of salsa = easy taco filling or good over yellow rice

My favorite weeknight meal is to butterfly, marinate for ten minutes in lemon juice and minced garlic, season with salt pepper herbs and sauté. Then throw the leftover marinade in the pan with sliced onions. Super tasty and the lemon juice tenderizes the crap out of the chicken

Also this
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/best-grilled-chicken-sandwich-ever.html

Crusted in chips of your choice and then fried or pan fried used to be a favorite.

A roulade is also possible in endless variations (e.g. spinach, chorizo, and ricotta).

Using it in stripes with a nice hot curry (yellow curry with mango? Bäm!) is classic too.

My #1 rule with chicken is to brine well in advance. End up with the juiciest chicken no matter how you cook it.

IMO brining is not really necessary for chicken, makes it juicy but more bland. The dark meat is plenty juicy and the white meat just needs to be cooked properly to not dry out. Although a good acidic marinade works wonders.

That might just be my own personal backlash against the whole food network-driven brining craze of the last couple years. Turkey breast needs a brine, smoked chicken benefits, maybe if grilling good sized boneless breast it's worth the trouble.

Kabobs are quick and easy.

Cube up the chicken and marinate in Italian dressing.

I also marinate the bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc in Italian dressing. I could eat grilled mushrooms marinated in Italian dressing as a meal in itself!

I jut made some biscuits and gravy for the wife. Im just downing some OJ. Been under the weather for the past few days and dont have an appetite. Hoping the vitamin C pulls through

Cheesy, if you want to cut some of them up - one of our top faves is butter chicken. I can post the recipe if you want it.

Also I often use chicken breast pieces to make chile verde. It's ALMOST as good as using pork!

IMO brining is not really necessary for chicken, makes it juicy but more bland. The dark meat is plenty juicy and the white meat just needs to be cooked properly to not dry out. Although a good acidic marinade works wonders.

That might just be my own personal backlash against the whole food network-driven brining craze of the last couple years. Turkey breast needs a brine, smoked chicken benefits, maybe if grilling good sized boneless breast it's worth the trouble.

The question was regarding chicken breasts, not thighs. I don't brine dark meat, but I usually do marinade in soy sauce / honey or teriyaki.

Sautéed some farmers market "rainbow" chard with garlic, a few Sungold tomatoes and chilis from the garden (Shi****o, Aleppo, and Brazilian Starfish).

The starfish peppers were awesome with medium heat ... except for the few that had the seeds left in. Lesson learned!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439690149.390083.jpg

Making some homemade biscuits in the morning. Might even make some more gravy... Possibly red eye.

I just wish I had some apple butter

Makes me miss Cinci where we had apple trees & a root cellar. Root cellar was perfect for making apple butter & wine. I'd have had my fermenters down there if I still had that house. Having coffee till I wake up a bit more to start editing raw footage for a video.

I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but I foraged 2 pounds of wild muscadine grapes few minutes ago. My secret spot that usually has the most is almost a bust this year for some reason. My #2 spot produced most of the 2 lbs. I have another spot to check, but most of them are too high to reach...may have to supplement with some farmed ones this year if I want to make wine again or jelly.

IMG_20150816_165712958.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! Chicken breast is great to have around but it somehow got way out of hand :drunk:

I did find one pretty tasty use for some. I butterflied the breast and pounded it to tenderize. In a separate pan I wilted some spinach and mixed in some garlic and feta. That became the stuffing. Rolled them shut and coated with some panko before getting them in the cast iron.

Served alongside kale with garlic and cider vinegar, and an empty glass of homebrew

(Sidenote: wife and I were watching "Chopped" on Netflix over dinner. According to her, I would have made it to the dessert round :p)

chicken.jpg

plated chicken.jpg

Back