Effect of no-chill on hops additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
Due to a serious water shortage in our part of the world I have been doing no-chill and a modified no-chill brewing for quite some time. As I was boiling a batch of ESB this evening I got to thinking about the technical side of hops additions with this technique and thought that it might make for an interesting discussion.

Does using a no-chill technique change the time for introducing your late hop additions?

Since the beer is going to remain hot for quite a while after flame-out should we not wait until flame-out to add the late additions?

I'd be very interested to learn your take on this.

Yes. The 60 minute hop addition is backed off to 45, the 10 to 5 minute addition is done at flame out. There is no way to get that time exact though because the slow chill will be extracting and polymerizing the alpha acids for a while as it cools.

When I first started brewing I was experimenting with No Chill as I hated wasting all the water using my IC. I generally stuck to malty dark ales to avoid the issue of hop timing and clarity of the final product. I had great results. From the research I did you basically bump all the additions 15 minutes. Looking back and knowing what I know now about hop stands and such, how is a flameout addition using No Chill that different than a hopstand and then chilling?

If I were to revist no chill, I might do some type of hybrid no chill. Either, chill the wort to 180F, run off into no chill vessel, then throw in a few ounces. Or just let the wort come down to 180F naturally and do the same. I think this would give a nice hoppy result if. 45min addition 0min addition followed by a charge once the wort reaches 180F. And of course dry hopping.

Another thing you might want to consider is building a counterflow chiller. I built one a few weeks ago, and I don't know why I waited so long. I chilled 12g of wort from boiling to 70F in 10ish minutes. I don't feel so bad about wasted water while chilling, now.

There's a great thread HERE that goes very in-depth into no-chill, including hop timing. One of the participants even came up with a chart of hop adjustments:

No_Chill_Hop_Adjust2.bmp

I used the chart above and found my brews tasted exactly the way I wanted them to. You might need to adjust the times for your tastes.

EDIT: Hop-bursting is hard to do, but FWH, cube hopping, and dry hopping will get you pretty close. I got a 3rd place medal with a SMaSH Bravo IPA a couple years ago. Also on a rosemary-honey saison where the honey and rosemary were added to the cube.

There's a great thread HERE that goes very in-depth into no-chill, including hop timing. One of the participants even came up with a chart of hop adjustments:

No_Chill_Hop_Adjust2.bmp

I used the chart above and found my brews tasted exactly the way I wanted them to. You might need to adjust the times for your tastes.

EDIT: Hop-bursting is hard to do, but FWH, cube hopping, and dry hopping will get you pretty close. I got a 3rd place medal with a SMaSH Bravo IPA a couple years ago. Also on a rosemary-honey saison where the honey and rosemary were added to the cube.

Hi

Thanks for the chart.

I was wondering what FWH 30m IBU means??

Did you found what FWH 30m IBU means? I started no chill a few batches ago, and my regular FWH and hop bursting have have me a more bitter and less flavor/aroma than before.

I have had very exciting results no-chilling hoppy beers. I get exceptional hop flavor and aroma equal or beyond what I achieved when chilling with 0 minute, -15 minute and -30 minute additions.

I add the zero minute in the boil kettle, drain onto the -15 minute addition and toss in the -30 minute addition

So you are saying that you put the 15 minute additon in the cube and put the hot wort on top? If so, how do you put the 30 minute addition? On top of the wort before you closethe container? When is the 0 min addition added in the boil? Sorry, but i don't want to screw a perfect batch of beer with misunderstood ideas :)

Bionut, yes, exactly. The -30 minute I add on top before closing it up. I use a stainless milk can not a cube but I don't see where that would matter.

For the zero minute, I turn off the burner, add the hops, and gently stir to start kind of a whirlpool. Then when I drain 15 minutes later, I don't get so much trub in the fermenter.

Let us know how it goes. A lot of people are dismissive about no chilling hoppy beers but I have had no trouble getting lots of aroma and flavor.

Back