• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New York Pre-Soldered ESP8266 BrewPi PCBs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ESP8266 BrewPi SMD RJ-11 PCB - $15 (including shipping to continental US)

BrewPi - Top.jpg BrewPi - Bottom.jpg

This is the PCB that is used for my ESP8266-based BrewPi project. I’ve already soldered on all the components and tested the board - it’s pretty much good to go. By purchasing this PCB you will eliminate almost all of the soldering.

Bare PCB Link: https://pcbs.io/share/zy1q2
3D Printed Case Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2874176

To complete a BrewPi build, you will need the following in addition to the PCB:
  • A case for your build
  • A 5v power supply
  • A 2-channel relay board
  • A power outlet (or panel mount jacks)
  • A Wemos D1 Mini /w headers
  • DS18b20 Temperature sensors /w RJ-11 jacks (see below)
  • A LCD2004 module (optional)
  • Door sensor (optional)
  • Wire/wire nuts/screws

Of the above, the Wemos D1 Mini & power supply will also require soldering — If you really hate soldering and want pre-soldered versions of both, add $20 to your order and I’ll provide both, pre-soldered. I don’t always keep these on hand, however, so this might add up to two months to the shipping time (sorry - AliExpress is slow).

Note - The PCB is designed to have temperature sensors hooked up via telephone cables - see the board below If you’d rather not have to mess with splicing the jacks onto the sensors.

Additional Options:
+$15-30 - Add 3D Printed Case (price depends on color - PM for more info)
+$20 - Add Pre-soldered Power Supply/D1 Mini (May delay shipping)

I’ve got three of these boards available in total. If you want an RJ-11 breakout board (below) as well, subtract $2 from the overall price.

RJ-11 Breakout Board for Temp Sensors - $12 (including shipping to the continental US)

RJ-11 Breakout Board - Top.jpg

In my first builds I spliced RJ-11 jacks onto the end of my DS18b20 temperature sensors but quickly realized that while clean, this wasn’t easy to do. To eliminate this, I created this PCB which allows you to hook the sensors up to the board directly, rather than having to splice in jacks.

This board can be used in one of two ways - by soldering the sensors directly onto the board or by adding screw terminals, and using the screw terminals to attach the board. Screw terminals sound like a good idea, but in practice the leads for the temperature sensors come out easily. I’ve started just soldering the temperature sensors directly to the board — it works pretty well, but you lose the ability to swap sensors if one doesn’t work.

To use this board with the above, you will need:
  • RJ-11 Crossover Cable
  • 1-3x DS18b20 Temperature Sensors
  • Door sensor (optional)

Bare PCB Link: https://pcbs.io/share/zvqxW
3D Printed Case Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872770

Additional Options:
+$1 - Solder on screw terminal for door sensor
+$3 - Solder on screw terminals for temperature sensors (not recommended)
+$15 - Pre-solder 2x working temperature sensors onto the board (Fridge/Beer sensor, includes the sensors for obvious reasons)
+$5-$20 - Add 3D Printed Case (price depends on color, PM for more info)

I've got 4 of these boards available in total.

I had a similar situation, I had extra PCBs that I didn't need for my Teensynet project, and I was going to offer them here, either as bare or completed boards.

I checked with TxBrew beforehand, and was informed that I'd have to pay the cost of being a Sponsor if I wanted to offer any of them. I was neither a vendor nor a retailer.

Now, this was many years ago, but I don't think the rules have changed. If they have I apologize. Otherwise, I was just trying to give you a "heads-up"...

I had a similar situation, I had extra PCBs that I didn't need for my Teensynet project, and I was going to offer them here, either as bare or completed boards.

I checked with TxBrew beforehand, and was informed that I'd have to pay the cost of being a Sponsor if I wanted to offer any of them. I was neither a vendor nor a retailer.

Now, this was many years ago, but I don't think the rules have changed. If they have I apologize. Otherwise, I was just trying to give you a "heads-up"...

Eek. Noted, and very much appreciated.

Back