Grey sail captain's daughter IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I was recently on the east coast and was told by a local to try this IPA. Bought a 4 pack for a whopping 13$ and was nicely surprised by it. I've got tons of choices here in Portland but this was a unique take on the style. I'd love to do something similar.

Here's my guess based on their website:
95% Pilsner malt
5% flaked oats
Citra boil addition (1oz/ 5 gallon)
4 oz mosaic at flameout
4 oz mosaic dry hop
Mash 154

Barbarian yeast (imperials version of Conan)

Any suggestions? I View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466781998.343899.jpg

Yeah, last time I was in RI the owner of my go-to beer store said that people will buy that stuff up before he can even get it on the shelf. That's usually on a Tuesday, and I am typically there on random weekends so I've never had it.

There may be some more clues in this article: https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...didn-expect/W4iXLuoioRG7gOvkOl25pJ/story.html

The article says "Citrus" hops, but I would guess that might be an editorial slip-up for "Citra" hops.

Although the Grey Sail website only mentions Mosaic.

I really like their Flying Jenny as an everyday beer. My parents said that the new tasting room is pretty cool, too.

Cheers.

I just got some in a trade and it was delicious! I think the can mentioned Citra, can't recall for sure

Here's my guess based on their website:
95% Pilsner malt
5% flaked oats
Citra boil addition (1oz/ 5 gallon)
4 oz mosaic at flameout
4 oz mosaic dry hop
Mash 154

Barbarian yeast (imperials version of Conan)

Any suggestions?

Oats and hop schedule brings to mind the Lawson's DIPA recipe, which I think could be helpful for a bit of guidance since it did come from Sean Lawson. (It was originally published here and gets brought up often here on HBT)

Note he's using a sugar addition to ramp up the ABV, and a bit of carapilsen and vienna to create a more interesting flavor and mouthfeel -- at least that's what I surmise they're doing it for.

My other take away is the small add of caramunich, which I think is primarily for color. Gotta be something else in the Captain's Daughter since pilsner and oats alone won't orange it up. The Captain's Daughter has a deeper color than Lawson's DIPA, so I'm guessing a more aggressive adder of cara-something.

The ratio of Mosaic to Citra is probably the tough thing to get, I might split the batch and dry hop half with one, half the other, then recombine for bottling, try a couple bottles at different ratios, that sort of thing.

This looks like an interesting beer, gonna have to try it. Possibly brew it. thanks.

according to the owner:

We asked Grey Sail co-owner Alan Brinton about the birth of their breakout beer. “Josh Letourneau, our head brewer, brewed a test batch about a year and a half ago when we started kicking around the idea of brewing an IPA. He used Mosaic and a few other hops and it was pretty awesome. That pretty much set the wheels in motion for this recipe. We were fortunate to get our hands on enough Mosaic to brew it commercially.

Citra was mentioned earlier in the same article, but clearly Mosaic is carrying the ball based on this comment.

Here he says "a few" which, perhaps means more than two? Maybe one of the c-hops hops at the beginning of the boil? I'm wondering if they have a go-to hops for their ales. I think if we dig enough we can figure this one out :)

Great replies. I am interested in that recipe from the Lawson DIPA article too. It's going to be tough to compare captains dtr to anything I brew simply bc I have no way to get it! But I agree. Let's keep digging. I emailed grey sail yesterday. Most folks write back with something. We'll see .....

Great replies. I am interested in that recipe from the Lawson DIPA article too. It's going to be tough to compare captains dtr to anything I brew simply bc I have no way to get it! But I agree. Let's keep digging. I emailed grey sail yesterday. Most folks write back with something. We'll see .....

Any luck?

I had about the worst brew day ever a few weeks ago. Nothing went as planned. Missed OG by many points (no idea how) forgot to use the chlorine filter etc. just terrible. I dry hopped it a day or so ago and I'll rack soon. If it comes out I'll post. I largely followed the Lawson's recipe linked above.

Well despite all the setbacks on that brew day, that recipe was stellar. Highly recommended and likely the best IPA I've ever brewed.

Well despite all the setbacks on that brew day, that recipe was stellar. Highly recommended and likely the best IPA I've ever brewed.

Glad to hear that you were happy with the results. I just had it for the first time last night. I was up in RI for a wedding, and my usual spot for local beers had a few 4-packs in stock ($10.75). I certainly is a good beer, and I'm not a hop head. At first I was a bit scared of the 8.5%, but the beer had a good body and the oats are very apparent in creaminess. Not overly bitter, but great hop flavor (not just aroma).

I want to try your recipe when my basement drops a few more degrees (or I come across a spare mini fridge). Any changes that you would recommend? I would personally shoot for a slightly lower OG (8.5% will knock me senseless).

So I entered this beer in the Oregon Fall Classic - first competition I've ever entered. Ended up with a score of 37. I'm pretty happy overall with this and I have some great notes to tweak the recipe.

Well come To find out I won first place in the IPA category in the Oregon Fall Classic. Breakside brewing will be brewing this with me assisting on a 10 Barrel system!

I think I'm going to do 2 back to back brews this wkd. The original recipe I wrote as an attempt at captains dtr and the one I ended up doing last July. The DIPA will be a 3 gallon batch

OK - how does this look for an Imperial IPA, possible grey sail Captain's Daughter esque? 3 gallon recipe:

Imperial IPA
0- Untitled Style
Date: 11/16/16

Size: 3.36 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 80.0%
Calories: 267.32 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.000 - 1.100)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.000 - 1.100)
Color: 6.16 SRM (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 8.49% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 50.1 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
10.1 lb (95.3%) Pilsner Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (4.7%) Oats (Pregelatinized Flakes) - added during mash
.6 oz (9.1%) Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
1.0 oz (15.2%) Mosaic™ (12.5%) - whirlpool x 30 min, 180
1.0 oz (15.2%) Citra™ (12.0%) - whirlpool x 30 min, 180
2.0 oz (30.3%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz (30.3%) Mosaic™ (12.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

@kcinpdx I finally got around to brewing this style beer. I stuck with 100% Mosaic, because I had 8 oz on hand, and no other hops.

90% US Pilsner
10% Flaked Oats
6.5 gal in boil kettle
75-min boil
0.5 oz Mosaic - 60 min
0.5 oz Mosaic - 10 min
2.0 oz Mosaic - FO

OG - 1.048 @ 5.0 gal

WY1318 - basement was at 64°F

2.5 oz Mosaic - Full Krausen (on day 3 of fermentation)
2.5 oz Mosaic - 4 days (on day 14 of fermentation - 1.011)

FG 1.010

Carbed to about 2.5 vol CO2. Had a strong grapefruit aroma, and was hazy, yet not murky (at least in my opinion). Nice level of bitterness. I can't exactly remember Captain's Daughter from this fall, but I thought it came out damn good. Friends seem to agree. Next time, I might try blending some citra into the dry hopping. Maybe 1 oz in the final dry hop, just to get some variety.

NEIPA.jpg

Looks excellent. How was the body at that low of abv and fb of 1.010?
Mine came out really good but is quite strong at 8.5%. I would likely back off the citra next go around just a tad.

Looks excellent. How was the body at that low of abv and fb of 1.010?
Mine came out really good but is quite strong at 8.5%. I would likely back off the citra next go around just a tad.

I tend to prefer drier beers that sit around 5% abv, so I really like how it feels in the mouth. It's definitely not sweet. It's quite well-balanced with the hops.

I'll have to give it a shot! The last few I've done have come out really good, but the IIPA I did was the best.

Back