NE IPA recipe critique / advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4_Sons_Brewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all -

I’ve decided to try and design my own NE IPA recipe. I’ve down over 30 batches, but never designed my own…After doing quite a bit of reading/ research I’ve come up with this. Probably not completely unique, but what I’ve come up with. I’ll add that I bought a pound of El Dorado and a Pound of Mosaic hops from Yakima this week - I’ve never used either so thought I’d experiment a bit and try to design my own recipe using those…. Going for a citrusy tropical type flavor.

Any feedback is appreciated.

recipe -

10 gallon batch
Mashed at 154°
1 hour boil
18 lbs 2 row
5 1/2 lbs white wheat malt
3 lbs flaked wheat
3/4 lbs Dextrine
3/4 Crystal 10

1 oz cascade 60 mins
3 oz Eldorado whirlpool 170°
3 oz Mosaic whirlpool 170°

ferment @ 66°
First dry hop - 3 days into fermentation for 4 days
First dry hop - 3 days into fermentation for 4 days
3 oz Eldorado
3 oz Mosaic

2nd dry hop 4 days before kegging
3 oz Eldorado
3 oz Mosaic

Yeast - Imperial Juice

Recipe looks good.

For water I would do something in the ballpark of 150 chloride and 75 sulfate. Personal preference plays a big part in the water.

Process is also very important. Avoid as much oxygen exposure as possible once fermentation starts.

Not sure what your setup is like but here's what I do:
I dry hop when fermentation is finished, soft crash, and then stream CO2 while adding hops and purge 14x at 30PSI after it's sealed up again. Then do a closed transfer to kegs that were purged with gas generated from the whole fermentation.

My only critique, based on my past experience, is maybe try making a smaller batch of this to ensure your process is solid before committing to 10 gallons.

+1 on avoiding oxygen for any IPA brew. This should be emphasized more on recipe kits IMO, as the beer is hardly, if at all, enjoyable once oxidation happens.

This thread covers the process I followed for a Citra NEIPA that is currently on day 6 of fermentation. I am fermenting in a keg, using magnets to dry hop, and will serve out of said keg. Once I pitch yeast and stage the dry hops, the lid stays on the keg until it delivers it's last pint.

This is my first time following this process, and if it comes out good I'll likely stick to it. Many that have tried fermenting and serving from the same keg stick with it.

Last edited:
Back