Brew-Boss Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Interested to hear from folks who currently have a Brew-Boss complete system with Cofi. I'm considering getting the 20 gallon configurable system with:

Accu-Fill
Hops-Boss
Swirl-Boss
Brew-Boss Pro Brew Stand

Looks like $2,284.00 out the door.

Would like to hear from folks who actually have one, pros and cons. Not interested in any other system and don't need comparisons. Just want to know from folks actually brewing on the Brew-Boss.

What do you like?
What don't you like?
How long does it take you to brew?
How hands On or Off is it?
How is cleanup? How long does it take?
Durability of the parts?
If you have had problems, what were they?
How is customer support?
What kind of software upgrades have you had?
What is missing in the software?
If you use Beersmith, how accurate is the efficiency?
Do your recipes consistently hit expected OG?
Would you buy again if you had a do-over?

Appreciate honest feedback.

Subscribing as I'm considering the 15-gallon system, with the condenser-boss instead of the hops-boss (can't use both).

I waffled between that and an eherms for a while once I realized the Zymatic was a lost cause and Z was vapor. I really like the controller but the one I would be interested in requires 50 amp and I'm on a 30a. It looks a little more robust than the hosehead and I like the concept of it throwing up its own local wifi net for the tablet interface.

Thanks for that...not sure why that didn't come up when I searched the forums....would have eliminated the need for this thread.

Hey everyone,

Interested to hear from folks who currently have a Brew-Boss complete system with Cofi. I'm considering getting the 20 gallon configurable system with:

Accu-Fill
Hops-Boss
Swirl-Boss
Brew-Boss Pro Brew Stand

Looks like $2,284.00 out the door.

I have the 20 gallon "deluxe" system with the stand, Swirl-Boss, Hops-Boss and hop spider. I did not opt for the Accu-Fill as that seems like something for larger volume micro-breweries with several systems. I can keep an eye on the water level.

Would like to hear from folks who actually have one, pros and cons. Not interested in any other system and don't need comparisons. Just want to know from folks actually brewing on the Brew-Boss.

What do you like?
I like the automation, once it's setup it pretty much runs itself, but I never leave it unattended. Clean up is easy and there is only one kettle to clean. I have the clean-in-place ball which does a good job.

What don't you like?
The system no longer supplies an Android tablet, you have to buy your own if you don't already have on. iPad will work but is not recommended. And, the system no longer comes with a tablet holder but Darin had a link to one on Amazon.
I am having issues with what I believe to be hot-side-aeration from too high flow rate through the COFI filter. I think I'm picking up a lot of O2 into the mash giving it a bad off-flavor after fermentation. This may be just a matter of tweaking the system and not due to any flaw in the equipment, more like a flaw in the way I am using the equipment.

I can usually do it in 4 hours from filling the kettle, mashing, boiling and chilling.

It is pretty much hands off once you fill the kettle and lower the COFI basket.

I've been getting a lot more fastidious lately so cleanup usually takes an hour to an hour and a half.

Durability of the parts?
I've just got my system in July, not long enough to attest to its durability but I can say that all the components are very high quality.

Everything was shipped at once but the hop spider was missing. Turns out it was on backorder and arrived later. The app had a problem processing BeerXML data into Brew-Boss Step file. Darin responded quickly and gave me a workaround while he made a new version available which solved the problem.

How is customer support?
Darin could not be any better, very quick email response and most helpful.

Just the one app upgrade to fix the BeerXML conversion software.

I have not yet noticed anything "missing", the app is intuitive and is easy to use.

This is an issue with Beersmith (I have Beersmith 3) but it reports my mash efficiency at 64% and Brewhouse efficiency at 59%. Not as high as I would like it to be but I'm working on it. Beersmith accurately calculates my grain bill to meet expected OG, just have to add a little more grain, not a big deal.

Yes, now that it accurately reports the figures.

I believe I would because I like the automation part of it and that I only have to clean one kettle. New stuff is always coming out and I think I am going to add on the Condenser-Boss which means I can brew indoors in the winter.

Appreciate honest feedback.

I have one of the original units. I bought just the unit and pieced together everything else myself. I wanted a custom built Spike kettle. My answers will be regarding just the controller and app.

What do you like?
Very well built. Easy to use. Can be as hands on or hands off as you would like.

What don't you like?
Only one thing really. Programming the app is a pain to learn. You can download the manual to see what I mean by programming. You are telling the system exactly what to do (i.e. mash temp, mash time, boil temp, when to add hops, etc). What I have done is created a generic template and all I do is change the mash temps and rest lengths.

No more or less than any other system.

As much or little as you want. I do a 4 step mash for almost all my beers. Once I mash in, I'm upstairs watching TV or doing things around the house for 2 hours. With the app I can keep an eye on what is happening and never have to go down to my basement. I tell the app what the temps and lengths are. You could do that manually with the app if you wanted. Once the boil starts it goes for the hour as I throw in hops. He does sell a hop boss which adds the hops at what ever boil time you want. So once you pull the grains and the boil starts, you basically have another hour of sitting around. I didn't go for the hop boss. Cool idea but I like throwing in hops and additions.

Not any different than any other system. It has tubes and a pump so it will be more cleaning than a kettle and mash tun cooler.

Durability of the parts?
The unit is very well built. I have seen the kettles but I suspect they are really nice as well.

Zero. I know some people have had a couple small issues with the app but that was an issue with the app and the OS on the tablet.

How is customer support?
The best I have ever received from any company. You could email him right now and usually receive a response within an hour.

I'm not actually sure. I haven't done any upgrades to the unit (not sure if that is possible). I think he has updated the app a few times but I think it was more to make it compatible with different OS.

Nothing is missing. I just wish programming the brew was easier.

This isn't really related to the Brew Boss. If you are asking how BIAB efficiency is, with my 4 step mash I usually get 97% mash conversion. I don't like to use mash or brewhouse efficiency because it doesn't tell the whole story. Mash conversion tells you how much of the available sugars you extracted. That is what you want to know. Brewhouse efficiency also takes into consideration how much wort you left in the kettle when transferring to your fermenter. Who cares if you leave an extra 1/2 gallon as long as you got your OG and your starting volume dead on.

Again this is a BIAB procedural thing, not Brew Boss related. Yes I do but I take extremely good notes and I also dialed my system in to were I can get my final volume to within a cup or less of what is in my kettle. Dialing in your system is key for this.

Absolutely!

For the brew-boss, i like how the owner is out there putting the videos out. and really like how everyone says customer support is great. But i have 1 question. how come in 3 years that this has been on the market there is so few "users" posting any videos on youtube? Is it working so good they just keep brewing? You do a youtube search by date of 1 year, and there's nothing except Darin. Not saying it's a bad thing. But that just seems odd.

@h22lude Appreciate the info, it helps me a lot.

I'm definitely going to wait until black friday to pull the trigger on whatever system I decide to go with...I'm not set on what I want right now and I still have some research to do on a couple of other systems, so I can wait another week.

I can say this though, from all of the Brew-Boss owners who have commented here and elsewhere, it seems like the unit is exactly what I am looking for and has a great reputation. I can't really find any negative issues with the system itself and I have already spoken to Darin and he responded immediately.

For the brew-boss, i like how the owner is out there putting the videos out. and really like how everyone says customer support is great. But i have 1 question. how come in 3 years that this has been on the market there is so few "users" posting any videos on youtube? Is it working so good they just keep brewing? You do a youtube search by date of 1 year, and there's nothing except Darin. Not saying it's a bad thing. But that just seems odd.

I just don't think people are posting videos. I don't find this to be a negative or positive. There aren't many videos for High Gravity either. I wouldn't use the amount of videos as a way to determine which system you go with.

I just don't think people are posting videos. I don't find this to be a negative or positive. There aren't many videos for High Gravity either. I wouldn't use the amount of videos as a way to determine which system you go with.

It may be precisely because both Darin and Dave/Darlene post such quality videos of their respective systems that we don't find others. There's no vacuum that needs to be filled.

Love my system! Black Friday will mark the one year anniversary. I have brewed about 15 batches since December. Got a Brown Ale that I made my own recipe and scored a 38 in local competition. Using Beersmith to import recipes brew steps was tricky at first, but now my 10yr old could do this!

So has Darin announced that he's having a Black Friday deal or is it just speculation at this point?

This was last year's, hopefully it will be something similar:

Brew-Boss%2B2017%2BBlack%2BFriday%2BSale.jpg

I like everything about my BrewBoss except the controller. I found it a little too difficult to make changes and it was difficult to operate in manual mode; but I'm different in the fact that I don't care for too much automation. I like to be able to easily do different step mash routines and even decoction without worrying about whether or not I got everything programmed in properly. I went with the EBC-130 controller from high gravity and I love the simplicity of it. The kettle is great though and I went with a 400 micron basket from ArborFab and that things a dream.

A bit disappointed with the black friday deals. I guess i'll continue to shop around.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!
We are offering two specials for black Friday this year. The first is a free Fast Ferment Fermenter with every 15 gallon or 20 gallon system order as well as free shipping on all orders over $50 (this includes complete systems) . To get the free fermenter, simply add the Fast Fermenter to your order when selecting options for your system then use coupon code BF2018FREEFASTFERMENTER at checkout. Quantities are limited so order early! To get free shipping, enter coupon code BF2018FREESHIP at checkout.

Yea, just saw that...free shipping though and that saves me about $150. Not really interested in the Fast Fermenter since its only 8 gallons. I'm going to wait until Friday to actually pull the trigger, but I think I'm going with the 20 gal complete system and I have a buddy who is going to build me the stand that Brew-boss shows on their site, because Darin told me they don't sell that for the 15 or 20 gallon systems.

Not terribly interested in the FastFerment either, since I'm looking to go with SS BrewBuckets in the Tramontina Beverage Center, but for free I guess it'll get me started. The $140 or so savings on shipping is definitely nice.

Good to know that they don't do the stand anymore. That was one of the questions I emailed [email protected] on Saturday, but hadn't heard back yet.

I have a fast ferment already. I do like it a lot. it's a bit weird the location of the drain when you use the circle stand. It's a nice product. But like the brew-boss, it has a lot of accessories. So even if you get a base one, it's enough to get the job done, but you will more than likely need to buy a few more items to really get the benifits.

I was hoping for like last year 10% off accessories. I was planning on getting all the bells and whistles. That would have really made the difference for me.

If i decide on the BB system, i think this is the tablet i will go with. It's on sale for $50 off now. and it has a charging docking station where you can just lay it in and use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDH9BM2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

*edit*
i have a 7 and 8" version of these. Love them b If you aren't familiar with Amazon tablets, they do have some advertisements on them and the google play store isn't available. only the Amazon store. But both of those can be fixed, check youtube.

That's the way I'll probably go as well. Darin told me to make sure to get the version without ads (cost an extra $15 upfront, not sure how much after the fact), as the ads interrupt brewing.

I don't think I'll get the stand as it automatically goes into "Echo Show" mode when docked (not sure if this can be disabled), and enforces a maximum screen-on time of 30 minutes, which is counter-productive to a 3-hour brew day. I'd rather spend that extra $45 on an articulating TV/Tablet mount and disabling ads instead.

I have a couple 8 inch knock-off tablets lying around I was going to try until I get get my hands on a 10 inch tablet. Saw this tablet come through on Walmart.com black friday listing.

I sent Darin a note asking about tablet specs so I could look at all the black friday sales.

I have a couple 8 inch knock-off tablets lying around I was going to try until I get get my hands on a 10 inch tablet. Saw this tablet come through on Walmart.com black friday listing.

I sent Darin a note asking about tablet specs so I could look at all the black friday sales.

That's an interesting option. It runs Android Go, which is a stripped-down version of Android designed to run faster on low-end smartphones. Assuming the hardware is up to par, I would think this would actually be a plus for BB use. Android Go comes with fewer built-in services than full Android, and the ones that are there are streamlined to consume fewer resources. It is also more aggressive about shutting down backgrounded apps. All of these sound like good things in light of Darin's requirements.

Mike,

When tablets first came out i had a knock off. I also over the years bought an expensive toshiba. A decent samsung... and honestly the best one i've owned is the cheap amazon ones. The one you posted is $70. i'd say spend the extra $30($45 with no ads) and get the amazon one. Just my 2 bits.

Lax, you are correct, i forgot to togle the no ad option on. That is the one i am buying.

Just got a response from Darin (great response time btw).

When asked about specs he says "Android 10" tablet. Many are using the Amazon Fire 10 inch. If you get that one don't get the one that has advertisements. They interfere with brewing. Samsungs are the best but costly. You can also get cheap ones on amazon for around $80, they work too."

When asked if the tablets need anything special he says "No any new android tablet will work. Android 6 or higher is best, stay away from older versions but they will work."

@Conodor yea, I was just trying to get something without a lot of bloatware. My wife has a Fire 8 and likes it, I've always ran with the knock offs.

So mike, you say early on in this thread that you are going with the 20 gallon system. What's your typical batch size? I know it says you CAN do 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon system. But you are limited to grain bills that are lower.

I just wonder if someone is going to do 95% 5 gallon batches if they would be better off going with a 15 gallon system.

So mike, you say early on in this thread that you are going with the 20 gallon system. What's your typical batch size? I know it says you CAN do 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon system. But you are limited to grain bills that are lower. I just wonder if someone is going to do 95% 5 gallon batches if they would be better off going with a 15 gallon system.

I own a Zymatic, so my batch sizes right now are 5 gallons (I brew a double batch every time I brew and I brew 5 days a week). I currently use the Zymatic for experimental batches at the brewery, however, we are ramping up next year and need to brew 15 gallon batches for our pilot line. That will let us produce 3 slims that we can take out to customers as samples of our new product lines, as well as put on in our taproom.

So for us, we really need the 20 gallon system and will probably never produce anything less than 15 gallons on it. The Brew-Boss seemed the best way to go, of the current systems out there, that make 20 gallons due to price and how it fits our production schedule. We will still have the Zymatic around for personal use and when we want to create new seasonal releases prior to full production.

Back