wildwest450's Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I received this beer through the 9-9-9 swap and popped it open a little while ago.

WildWest’s Centennial IPA

Aroma – moderate malt with mild biscuit notes; mild fruitiness; mild, Centennial hops, mild and pleasant alcohol notes as it warms; no detectable flaws; fresh hop aroma in finish; well balanced, but could probably use just a dash more hops - 9/12

Appearance – amber, very mild haze (appropriate), poured finely-grained, dense, off-white head that lasted and left attractive lace. Just a gorgeous beer - 3/3

Flavor – moderately rich maltiness is first thing that comes forth; mild hop flavor on front and increases in middle and becomes fairly strong in finish – very pleasant; fresher hop flavor in finish, while 20-minute-ish sort of flavor at front. Very interesting and complex hop profile, but malt profile is fairly simple. Mild and pleasant alcohol notes in finish. Hop bitterness is quite present in finish, but is not harsh and appropriate to style. Finishes dry, hoppy, and pleasantly bitter. A bit more maltiness in the finish would be very nice. - 16/20

Mouthfeel – medium-bodied almost is thin for style, but not at all watery; carbonation approaches high end of style but is appropriate and only detracts marginally from the beer. Carbonation is a bit fluffy, and that detracts from the beers potential richness. There is a little CO2 bitterness that covers up maltiness, and beer would be better without it. Mild alcohol warmth in throat after a few sips and in cheeks after a few minutes or so. No astringency, but finishes dry. - 4/5

Overall impression – A lovely beer with complex and interesting hop profile (especially assuming it is a single hop beer). Hops and malt are expertly balanced, but the malt could stand up a bit more in the finish. I want to say that the malt profile should be more complex, but I am not quite sure what I would do to risk upsetting the beautiful balance. As best as I can tell, the only flaw in this beer is that it is far too drinkable for its potency, making it one dangerous mamma-jamma that can lead to a far more interesting evening that one had planned. Certainly, it leads to a number of typos. Basically, I could get messed up on this stuff just about every night, and I don’t think it would take very many. If I could change anything else, I might like a bit more fresher hop aroma (probably from a knockout addition or dry hopping), and I would prefer to reduce the carbonation to let the maltiness come through a bit more. However, the Centennial burps that start about halfway through the beer were quite pleasant. – 9/10

Terrific beer! Thanks! – 41/50

TL

You almost made me cry (tears of joy):D
I'm shocked that it was over carbonated, I thought the bottled samples were under carbed, but im happy about that. Glad you liked it and hope you enjoy the rest! Don't be afraid to let me have it!:mug:

Actually I gave you some false info:eek: It's not a single hop beer, it's bittered with warrior, and finished and dry hopped with centennial. My apologies.:eek:

...the Centennial burps that start about halfway through the beer were quite pleasant....

Mmmmmmm.....

Centennial buuuuuuurrrrps.

drooling_homer.png

You almost made me cry (tears of joy):D
I'm shocked that it was over carbonated, I thought the bottled samples were under carbed, but im happy about that. Glad you liked it and hope you enjoy the rest! Don't be afraid to let me have it!:mug:

Actually I gave you some false info:eek: It's not a single hop beer, it's bittered with warrior, and finished and dry hopped with centennial. My apologies.:eek:

Oh, heck, you did not give me any false information. I just assumed. It makes no difference, though. The hop profile was great, no matter what you used.

And, "over carbonated" is pretty harsh. The carbonation was high enough to affect the beer negatively, but just slightly so. I was picking some nits there. The carbonation was the difference between a 41-point beer and a 46-point beer (or something around there). No matter how you slice it, you've a damned fine beer!

TL

Back