BCS Dubbel Extract Recipe Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
I was thinking of brewing Jamil's "Black Scapular Dubbel" from BCS this weekend.

Some questions:

1. The recipe call for "Pilsener" LME. My LHBS store not have this. I looked at Northern Brewer and AHS and can't find it there either. NB had "Pilsen" LME that sounded right. Would Pilsen DME be the same? Based on the descriptions they sound different. The recipe also calls for Munich LME, but that's easier to find.
  2. The recipe calls for Cane Sugar. This appears to go in at the beginning of the boil. Is cane sugar just regular sugar from your grocery store?
  3. The recipe calls for pitching at 64F and slowing increasing to 70F. I have no hope of pulling that off. Oh wells. But then it calls for carbing to 3-4 vol and allowing to lager for 1 month at 45F. I am basically just planning to keg it and leave it alone for 1 month at 45F. This doesn't really seem like "lagering" though, but maybe I'm wrong.

Since I might not have access to the Pilsener LME, I may change my brewing plans this weekend, which is no biggie. If anyone has experience with this recipe or can tell me exactly what Pilsener LME is (vs Pilsen, etc.), that's the main thing.

Thanks!:mug:

It's been a while since I've brewed from extracts, but the designations "pilsener" and "pilsen" problably don't mean anything different. The wort will (obviously) be from Pilsener malt, and if it is hopped, presumably it will be in the Pilsener style, noble hops and all that. If you're making a black beer, I doubt you'll notice too much of these subtleties. There may be some difference between using LME vs. DME (which is, after all, more processed).

The Cane sugar question is easier. Yes, regular table sugar. Real Belgian ales use Candi sugar, but it's grossly over-priced for the flavor influences you get from it.

I think your ferment plan sounds fine. Sometimes Belgians use pretty high fermentation temperatures, but I never like the results when I do it.

Back