yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akamatt

Reaction score
I made a Irish Red Ale it seemed to go pretty well this was my 2 PM I may have rushed the fermentation a little but it was in for 2 weeks (I was having a party and wanted this done a little sooner) The only thing I had done different was that I had bought a new filtration system and I did filter this beer. At the first taste this beer had a vary noticeable Yeast taste....no biggie let it sit and come back later it sits and sits and sits but each taste there is a strong yeast taste I uses a White labs yeast. Oh and this beer is keged not bottled......so any thoughts?

2 weeks is not enough time to ferment and condition so there will be extra yeast and sugars in the brew until that happens.

2 weeks is not enough time to ferment and condition so there will be extra yeast and sugars in the brew until that happens.

Ok...Really....I understand the noob thing, and we've all been there, but how many threads do you need to read to see someone say to
WAIT 6 WEEKS ?
I was once appalled at the rudeness of a group on another forum, they wouldn't even answer a question like this...they would just flame you and you'd leave.

That isn't who we are here! We WANT the noobs, because there is a LOT to learn here.
This is your GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD!

This was your dumb question, promise you'll always use the search function...the google powered one, and you'll read a bit before asking a question, and I'll promise to do my damdest to answer it with good solid answers.

Ahh, another Nebraska member!

You rushed it, and now yer paying for it. What's really odd though, is that your filter should have all but stripped every yeast cell outta the beer, assuming its the right kind of filtering system.

Some even complain that when they filter, they lose flavor and aroma. Either way, if you exercise proper patience and wait for the beer to be ready, rather than trying to make the beer ready on your schedule (which never EVER works) you'll find you don't need to filter, and the beer will be better in the long haul.

2 weeks primary...but just because you put it in the keg doesn't mean you get to skip the aging process.

I bet a month from today that beer will be kick ass.

I posted this in early Aug. my beer was about 1 mo old then and I understand that I had not given the beer proper time to age. I just tasted this beer again this weekend and still a (i called it yeast taste) but a yeast or something along this line. Now I'm back because no change in taste to this beer but now I just kegged a Liberty Cream Ale that I have made before and loved and this beer has this same "off" taste. This beer was in fermentation for 6 weeks I did not filter it the way I had the Red and I have also kegged a Traditional Stout that turned out well. The person I do my brewing with and I are stumped and cant put a finger on what is going wrong any thoughts?

I posted this in early Aug. my beer was about 1 mo old then and I understand that I had not given the beer proper time to age. I just tasted this beer again this weekend and still a (i called it yeast taste) but a yeast or something along this line. Now I'm back because no change in taste to this beer but now I just kegged a Liberty Cream Ale that I have made before and loved and this beer has this same "off" taste. This beer was in fermentation for 6 weeks I did not filter it the way I had the Red and I have also kegged a Traditional Stout that turned out well. The person I do my brewing with and I are stumped and cant put a finger on what is going wrong any thoughts?

Hmmm. You're describing it as a "yeast" taste but could you give us some more descriptions? Bready? Astringent? Rubbery? Etc.

If the next beer has the same taste, I wonder if it's a sanitation issue, or a water issue. Do you have chloramines in your water maybe?

Bready, Astringent would both describe this taste with the water issue I have made at least 15 5gal batches with it and only 2 have had this extra taste I have had good beer both before and after these batches I think I pay attention to my sanitation I use a natural scentless dish soap for cleaning and star-san for sanitation. at this point I would be willing to try anything to correct the issue

Bready, Astringent would both describe this taste with the water issue I have made at least 15 5gal batches with it and only 2 have had this extra taste I have had good beer both before and after these batches I think I pay attention to my sanitation I use a natural scentless dish soap for cleaning and star-san for sanitation. at this point I would be willing to try anything to correct the issue

Were both of these batches PM? And, are they the only light colored batches that you've made since?

the red was a pm the Liberty was a extract. I have made two other light color pm's in the mean time that turned out well also two dark beers that turned out very good.

sorry I missed the 2nd page.... I use White Labs Pitchable on all of them, no starter batch, my Hydrometer readings were well with in the tolerances (I an at work so don’t have the exact readings with me)

sorry I missed the 2nd page.... I use White Labs Pitchable on all of them, no starter batch, my Hydrometer readings were well with in the tolerances (I an at work so don’t have the exact readings with me)

I wonder if you just are tasting stressed yeart. I know that the White Labs vial say "pitchable" on them, but you really need a starter for them. Otherwise, you can get some long lag times and off-flavors from the yeast.

I know we've had several threads in the last few days on yeast starters and pitching, I'll see if I can dig up those threads.

Here's one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/pitch-rate-lets-talk-yeast-85227/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/starter-necessary-84567/

6 weeks in keg now. I will go home and see what strain of yeast the White Labs are. thank you for the links I will read them.

one thought I've had about this beer...it is kegged, so no matter how long it sits, the next pint is going to have yeast sediment in it. I wonder what would happen if you bottle a few, and refrigerate...this will allow you to pour off the beer from whatever sediment there is left after filtration.

Back